• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dysregulation of Protein Kinase Gene Expression in NK Cells from CFS/ME pts

Kati

Patient in training
http://www.la-press.com/dysregulati...pression-in-nk-cells-from-chron-article-a5866

Foreword from the authors:

Dear Supporters,
The National Centre for Neuroimmunology and Emerging Diseases (NCNED) would like to sincerely thank the Stafford Fox Medical Research Foundation, Change for ME Australia, The Alison Hunter Memorial Foundation, Mr Douglas Stutt and the Queensland Government for providing financial support for our latest publication.

This current paper reports novel results of far reaching importance for CFS/ME diagnosis and possible pathology. The paper describes world first discoveries of kinase gene dysregulation associated with changes in calcium ion function. This research leads from previous significant papers we have recently published involving research into calcium ion channels in CFS/ME. Please refer to two of our recent publications reported in Biological Research and Clinical Application of Genetics.

These publications reflect the commitment of our team in achieving the best possible outcomes for those with CFS/ME.

Best Wishes
Sonya, Don and the NCNED Team

Dysregulation of Protein Kinase Gene Expression in NK Cells from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Patients

Anu Chacko, Donald R. Staines, Samantha C. Johnston and Sonya M. Marshall-Gradisnik

Gene Regulation and Systems Biology 2016:10 85-93

Original Research

Published on 28 Aug 2016

DOI: 10.4137/GRSB.S40036

Abstract

Background: The etiology and pathomechanism of chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME) are unknown. However, natural killer (NK) cell dysfunction, in particular reduced NK cytotoxic activity, is a consistent finding in CFS/ME patients. Previous research has reported significant changes in intracellular mitogen-activated protein kinase pathways from isolated NK cells. The purpose of this present investigation was to examine whether protein kinase genes have a role in abnormal NK cell intracellular signaling in CFS/ME.

Method: Messenger RNA (mRNA) expression of 528 protein kinase genes in isolated NK cells was analyzed (nCounter GX Human Kinase Kit v2 (XT); NanoString Technologies) from moderate (n = 11; age, 54.9 ± 10.3 years) and severe (n = 12; age, 47.5 ± 8.0 years) CFS/ME patients (classified by the 2011 International Consensus Criteria) and nonfatigued controls (n = 11; age, 50.0 ± 12.3 years).

Results: The expression of 92 protein kinase genes was significantly different in the severe CFS/ME group compared with nonfatigued controls. Among these, 37 genes were significantly upregulated and 55 genes were significantly downregulated in severe CFS/ME patients compared with nonfatigued controls.

Conclusions: In severe CFS/ME patients, dysfunction in protein kinase genes may contribute to impairments in NK cell intracellular signaling and effector function. Similar changes in protein kinase genes may be present in other cells, potentially contributing to the pathomechanism of this illness.

Last edited:

Valentijn

Good patient selection, and the housebound and bedbound patients were classified as "severe", with the rest being "moderate":
All participants completed an online questionnaire regarding their medical history and symptoms based on the 2011 International Consensus Criteria (ICC) to determine suitability for the study.25 This requires the presence of debilitating postexertional fatigue, accompanied further by neurological, immune, and autonomic symptoms. CFS/ME patients meeting the 2011 ICC symptoms and nonfatigued healthy controls were included in this study. Severity of CFS/ME was defined according to Dr Bell’s disability scale that ranges from 100% (no symptoms) to 0% (severe symptoms).26 Patients categorized as moderate CFS/ME scored >30%. Severe CFS/ME patients scored <30% and were considered housebound or bedridden.

Other blood tests were done, basically the basic stuff done with diagnosis to exclude obvious stuff. ESR and CRP were higher for patients than controls, though not significantly so.

The increase in mRNA amounts (gene expression) wasn't large ... all between 1.1 and 1.55 the normal amount. So 11-55% increases. The mRNA which had decreases were larger, going from 1.1 to nearly a factor of 2. They seem to be especially interested in calcium signaling, but it looks like only 6 of the statistically significant genes were related to calcium.

Last edited:

msf

That was a bit odd of them, if true. Why not say they fulfilled both criteria - surely no one could have found fault in that?

Cheesus

I vaguely recall @Jonathan Edwards commenting a while back that he did not think NK Cell dysfunction was particularly well evidenced. Do you have any comments on this study, Jonathan?

msf

As someone much less qualified than Prof Edwards, I will say that it doesn´t look very promising to me either.

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
After correcting for multiple comparisons, only 8 were upregulated, 27 were downregulated. Note that this for the severe group in comparison with the healthy controls - no such gene expression alterations were found in moderate cases.

Also note, that the findings are specific to NK Cells, the results do not necessarily generalise to other gene expression studies using different cell types...

M Paine

What an interesting paper. If anyone has any links to some decent diagrams for the pathways mentioned below, I'd really appreciate a link. I've come across a couple of them, but none that show the bulk of the protein kinases talked about.

From the paper:

"the protein kinase genes that are reported will be discussed in the context of intracellular pathways involved in JNK, STAT, and NF-kappa beta (NF-κβ) activity, and their role in Ca2+ regulation and NK cell lysis"

Also, does anyone know what the term is for doing RNA'omic studies like this? And does anyone know if any researchers are doing the same for B-Cells?

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
What an interesting paper. If anyone has any links to some decent diagrams for the pathways mentioned below, I'd really appreciate a link. I've come across a couple of them, but none that show the bulk of the protein kinases talked about.

This is the one I usually remember:

1599px-Signal_transduction_pathways.svg.png

From Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Signal_transduction_pathways.svg

M Paine

Also, does anyone know what the term is for doing RNA'omic studies like this? And does anyone know if any researchers are doing the same for B-Cells?

I found the answer regarding RNA'omic's... Transcriptomics in the case of RNA only, or Expressomics in the case of RNA, Protein and other ligands.

Also, Cornell are doing a B-cell, T-cell and NK-Cell Transcriptome study on CFS patients

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
Thank you. Was hoping to find something more like this, with information relating to each gene more in context with the paper. This one is good fo the JNK pathway, just looking for something similar for STAT/NF-KB:

*img*

I'm still looking.

The MAP kinase kinase kinase's still amuse me though.

Not sure how useful, but...

Low res, but... JAK/STAT IL-6:
https://media.cellsignal.com/www/images/proteomics/multi-pathway/jak-stat.jpg

http://userscontent2.emaze.com/imag...023256300_JAK-STATpathwaysandinflammation.JPG

JAK/STAT PDGF
http://lsresearch.thomsonreuters.com/static/maps/635_map.png

JAK/STAT various cytokines:
http://saweb2.sabiosciences.com/images/JAK-STAT_Pathway_680.jpg

https://www.qiagen.com/geneglobe/static/images/Pathways/JAK-STAT Pathway.jpg

Last edited: