• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dyslexie - a wonderful new font!

SDSue

Southeast
I just came across a new font called Dyslexie, found here. It's available free, and I'm downloading it now. Just looking at the samples has me excited - it is much easier for me to read!

I'm most excited about the ability to use it in my web browser so I can read all sites in Dyslexie!

I'll keep you posted, but in the meantime, has anyone else used this?

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I'm wondering about installing something from place we know nothing about. People are using all sorts of crazy things to put adware and malware on computers. I know this from personal experience having spent hours on the phone looking for the culprit that hijacked Safari.

Scarecrow

Revolting Peasant
I don't have dyslexia but have had trouble reading since getting ME. I haven't downloaded Dyslexie (yet) but I took a look at it and I agree, it's much easier to read. I think that the wider spacing make's the most difference. From their website I had the impression that I didn't have to concentrate so hard on deciphering what I was reading so was more able to absorb the information.

SDSue

Southeast
@Scarecrow I didn't have dyslexia before ME, either. o_O And just as you said, I feel like it's smoother reading so I can focus on the information instead of rereading each line several times. Time will tell.

So far, I've not figured out how to reduce the size of it so it's a bit large lol.

Scarecrow

Revolting Peasant
@SDSue I've left my details with them after checking out a few reviews and am waiting for my link to download the font. I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks for flagging it up.

Here's one of the reviews I found:
http://www.theguardian.com/artandde...-font-that-makes-reading-easier-with-dyslexia
The Guardian should really know about spelling and reading difficulties. They weren't known as The Gurniad for nothing!

Here's another one which compares dyslexie with another font that looks all but identical. My reading speed with the dyslexie is faster.
http://blog.dyslexia.com/a-font-for-dyslexia-to-pay-or-not-to-pay/

Gingergrrl

I looked it out if curiosity and for whatever reason, I found it harder to read than other fonts! But I am usually in the weird outlier group.

SDSue

Southeast
I find it harder to read also. It probably depends on whether you have dyslexia.

Sushi
I didn't have dyslexia prior to ME, and I've not been diagnosed since ME, but I have a horrific time reading if I'm in a crash. Much of the time I cannot transpose numbers correctly, nor can I remember what I've read. I often re-read sentences several time.

I'm finding that I like Dyslexie part of the time. Because the letters are spaced further apart, it seems that I have to move my eyes across the page more times than I do with a more condensed font. Time will tell. :)

It's interesting that we all have different responses.

Scarecrow

Revolting Peasant
@SDSue. Do you think it's possible to have adult onset dyslexia? I've read that one of the signs of dyslexia is the tendency for letters to move around on the page. Since ME onset I've often described my reading problem as being caused by the words swimming around. That and the sparklies. The font you found 'fixes' the letters to the spot.

I also read somewhere long ago that people with dyslexia have balance problems - as of course do many with ME. Dyslexia can be improved with balance practice, e.g. using a balance board. How's your balance? Mine isn't great. I often walk into things as well, like door surrounds and people. Quite embarrassing. I think I've left enough room then bump! It could be other person's fault obviously but it's hard to blame a door and still be considered sane.