• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

dymatize 100 whey

pamojja

Does anyone have an efficient way of doing this that's not a whey or egg protein product?

Not very efficient, in that I've got to open and close numerous bottles multiple times a day. By taking individual beta-alanine, arginine, AAKG, citrulline malate, acetyl-carnitine and cysteine, creatine, glutamine, glycine, bcaa, lysine, OAKG, proline, taurine and tyrosine along with some gelatin powder for any missing gaps.

Murph

:)
How would one know if their PDH cycle is blocked? My private and lactate are low normal.

I looked up ProteinFuel - it is made of whey, which typically contains at least some casein and is missing several amino acids that many of us need. Our needs are different than those of body builders. Also, have they tested for heavy metals?

https://www.consumerreports.org/dietary-supplements/heavy-metals-in-protein-supplements/

It seems prudent to take the aminos we need in the purest form possible, without heavy metal contaminants.

Does anyone have an efficient way of doing this that's not a whey or egg protein product?
I'm (very) egg and dairy introlerant due to casein and I find the dymatise 100 whey is very easy on the stomach, even in the enormous quantities I consume it in. I assume it contains no casein.

The pyruvate dehydrogenase blockage hypothesis comes from Fluge and Mella, the norwegian researchers, in this groundbreaking paper from last year. They argue the body is burning aminos for fuel because we can't use glucose etc properly.

There's 39 pages of comments on it here.

The whey recommendation came to me from my doctor around that time, partly based on this research and partly on some linked stuff from the Melbourne Bioanalytics people.

Learner1

Thanks @Murph

Every time I put anything derived from cow milk in my body, I have a reaction. Maybe it's just MCAS, but provoking an allergic reaction is not a good way to start. This product also contains soy and corn derivatives. And the balance of amino acids doesn't match my needs.

I spent the afternoon rereading Fluge and Mella's paper, Maureen Hanson's paper, and all of the comments.

And am still left with not knowing how you know if PDH is blocked, or how to fix it, if it was.

I've done 3 NutrEvals in the past 2 years and all show pyruvate and lactic acid in the bottom quarter of the normal range. That doesn't seem blocked, yet I'm very low in many aminos.

Why is there a block, and how does one fix it? More than just feeding the body more amino acids, which can help, but they're not a cure.

Murph

:)
Thanks @Murph

Every time I put anything derived from cow milk in my body, I have a reaction. Maybe it's just MCAS, but provoking an allergic reaction is not a good way to start. This product also contains soy and corn derivatives. And the balance of amino acids doesn't match my needs.

I spent the afternoon rereading Fluge and Mella's paper, Maureen Hanson's paper, and all of the comments.

And am still left with not knowing how you know if PDH is blocked, or how to fix it, if it was.

I've done 3 NutrEvals in the past 2 years and all show pyruvate and lactic acid in the bottom quarter of the normal range. That doesn't seem blocked, yet I'm very low in many aminos.

Why is there a block, and how does one fix it? More than just feeding the body more amino acids, which can help, but they're not a cure.
Yes I wouldn't take the risk in your shoes either! I believe there are amino mixes derived from other sources but I'm not an expert. All that said, the effect of whey on me has been powerful and if you know you've got low aminos topping up with some product or other might be very helpful.

gregh286

Thanks @Murph

There are vegetable aminos.....nut aminos you name it.
Pdh block yet to be proved but convincing argument.
How to unblock it is like asking how to cure.cfs.

Learner1

Thanks @Murph @gregh286

I'm already taking 40 capsules a day of aminos, and I'm still short.

I'm looking for a custom blended amino product, so I can get the aminos I need in the ratios I need, like enough tyrosine, methionine, threonine, ornithine, and citrulline, etc. without arginine which isn't advised in those with herpes viruses or tryptophan, which I have too much of. (This is the problem with protein powders - wrong ratios.)

Has anyone found an inexpensive custom amino source? I'm looking at two, and getting quotes of about $650 for a 3 month supply.

lafarfelue

@Murph I was just scrolling through BCAA products on iHerb and noticed someone recently left a review on the Dymatize BCAA powder (not the whey) saying that the recipe had changed and they needed to take double the amount to experience the same positive effects as before. Interesting. Did Dymatize ever get back to you?