• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

DWP Mandatory Reconsiderations

charles shepherd

DWP Mandatory Reconsiderations

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) has set staff a target of upholding 80% of the benefit decisions that they are asked to reassess, it has been revealed.

In response to a Freedom of Information request, the department stated that a key measure used to monitor the performance of Mandatory Reconsiderations (the first step in the benefits appeals process) is that 80% of the original decisions are to be upheld.

It went on to confirm that between April 2016 - March 2017 staff exceeded that target with 87.5% of original decisions being maintained.

Full story here from politics.co.uk:

http://www.politics.co.uk/news/2017/05/16/dwp-sets-80-benefit-appeal-rejection-target

Dr Charles Shepherd
Hon Medical Adviser, MEA

Cheesus

I'll never understand how you can justify setting any targets in relation to disability benefit claims. It assumes you know beforehand the percentage of legitimate claims, which makes no sense at all. Any target will almost certainly either harm people or waste money.

SilverbladeTE

I'll never understand how you can justify setting any targets in relation to disability benefit claims. It assumes you know beforehand the percentage of legitimate claims, which makes no sense at all. Any target will almost certainly either harm people or waste money.

oh the answer is DEAD bloody simple:

Corporate Fascist ideology, that's what it is ALL about.
Ethics, morality, actual efficiency/cost have NOTHING to do with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

mermaid

I recently helped my son to appeal his PIP decision as he had very good written evidence to support him, including a report that enabled him to obtain Direct Payments for 28 hours a week of personal care.

He had to wait a very long time for the result of his Mandatory Reconsideration but I am even more relieved now to see that he was one of very few to have his Daily Living decision increased (they did not agree to give him the Mobility component at all though). However, without my help he probably would not have not succeeded, and so many applying for benefits find the system is set against them and it's too much for them to get the help in getting what they both need and deserve.

Last edited: