• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

dutch me association interviews with dr. Speight, KDL, dr. Visser

Bob

I'd already watched it. :) There is another thread with this video somewhere but it's a bit hidden away.

It's an eye-opening and emotive interview (bewildering, distressing and sad).

I recommend that people watch it especially if they are interested in child protection issues in the UK.

It describes child protection issues at the hands of the medical services in the UK.

Particularly worrying, I think is the way parents cannot refuse inappropriate cognitive-behavioural treatments for their children, or they can be considered to be obstructing treatment and then accused of neglect/abuse etc. This really is an outrageous situation, considering that the cognitive-behavioural treatments are harmful to many patients, and clinically useless at improving any objectively measured outcomes.

Following Jane Colby on the UK's Tymes Trust on Twitter, I have become aware that there are many families with children with ME in the UK who find themselves in very difficult situations with the medical profession, social services and education services. It usually seems to be a case of a total lack of understand about of the nature of the illness and the needs of the patients (on the part of the professionals, not the parents) coupled with a lack of flexibility on the part of the professionals. Along with the misinformed and inaccurate prevailing view that ME is a functional illness that will be cured if (inappropriate cognitive-behavioural) treatment is accepted. Parents are often expected accept the inappropriate instructions from the medical profession who treat ME as a functional disorder, despite ME being officially classified as a neurological disorder in the UK, and despite cognitive-behavioural interventions being proven to be of no benefit at improving the actual illness when objectively measured.

Last edited:

she

Practically perfect
thnx Bob,
tried to find this other thread/s with other interviews with KDM, prof. Visser etc.
But did not.
Do u know if they are posted here as well ?