• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

DSM-5 proposals for Somatoform Disorders revised on April 27

Dx Revision Watch

Suzy Chapman Owner of Dx Revision Watch
Submission by ME Association of Denmark

DSM-5 Task Force, Somatic Symptom Disorders Work Group

Response on the Proposals for Somatic Symptom Disorder

The ME Association of Denmark wishes to strongly advise against the acceptance of the proposed category Somatic Symptom Disorder (SSD) into version 5 of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM). ME (myalgic encephalomyelitis) is a complex, chronic, multi-system disease that is currently not well known in the medical community and many doctors will not recognize it when a patient presents with it. It is our concern that instead of getting a correct diagnosis of ME, a patient would instead get a diagnosis of SSD. And they would then receive inappropriate and possibly harmful treatment.

We have several cases in Denmark where an incorrect diagnosis of functional somatic syndrome and the inappropriate treatment of exercise have left teenaged patients permanently bedridden. ME patients suffer from a unique and proven form of exercise intolerance called PENE: Post-Exertional Neuroimmune Exhaustion. http://www.meassociation.org.uk/?p=7173

We have countless cases where an incorrect diagnosis and treatment have negatively and permanently impacted the ME patient’s health and quality of life.

ME can be extremely debilitating and usually prevents patients from working, going to school or even caring for themselves. Many patients go years and even decades before they receive a correct diagnosis. Given the circumstances, it is only human to worry about your illness and to try to find out why you are ill. The absolute subjectivity of the criteria for SSD makes it likely that even more ME patients will be misdiagnosed with a psychological disorder if SSD is taken into use. We fail to see how the proposed category would benefit any patient.

We also find it extremely worrisome that SSD can be added to any physical diagnosis and we can only see this as an attempt to create patients for the psychiatric industry.

In Denmark, it is our experience that once a patient has received a psychological diagnosis of this type, they are then blocked from any further examinations and tests. Danish doctors are trained by a program called the TERM model to understand all new symptoms as an expression of the patient’s psychiatric problems. Thus, they are encouraged to ignore symptoms of physical disease. (TERM model page 49)

Our concern is that the category of SSD will make it much easier to give a psychiatric diagnosis and that many physical diseases will therefore be ignored.

The idea of science should be to move forward and to objectively elucidate the cause of disease. The creation of the category of Somatic Symptom Disorders would be a big step backwards.

Best regards,

Rebecca Hansen

Chairman
ME Association, Denmark

adin

The old guy now
Phoenix Rising's official comment (I'm still foggy, so please pardon the grammar):

As a ME/CFS patient support charity we take the position that the current proposals for DSM5 are ripe for misapplication by the general mental health community. Phoenix Rising emphatically endorses the responses by Mary Dimmock and Suzy Chapman to the proposed revision to the J 00 Somatic Symptom Disorder.

This proposal is fatally flawed in its current form and we encourage the voting members to revisit the very basics of this proposal.

Dx Revision Watch

Phoenix Rising's official comment (I'm still foggy, so please pardon the grammar):

Thank you adin, I will add this comment from Phoenix Rising to the page on my site for responses from organizations, which is this page: http://wp.me/PKrrB-1Ol

Patient and advocate submissions are here on this page and if there are any more to come, please forward and I'll add them to my site (don't forget to let me know how you wish to be attributed):

http://dxrevisionwatch.wordpress.com/dsm-5-proposals/dsm-5-submissions-2012/3/

What now?

APA closed the DSM-5 Development site for feedback around midnight yesterday without publishing its promised report on DSM-5 field trial results.

Content on the DSM-5 Development site (proposals for changes to categories, criteria, rationales, severity specifiers etc) is now frozen.

The site will not be updated to reflect revisions and edits made between June 15 and submission of final texts, later this year, for approval by APA Board of Trustees. The remainder of the development process is set out on the Home Page under “Next Steps” and in the Timeline.

According to APA’s newly published and highly restrictive DSM-5 Permissions Policy – following closure of this third and final public review and comment period, content of DSM-5 will be under strict embargo until the manual is published.

Final text is expected to be presented to APPI, the APA’s publishing arm, by December 31 for May 2013 publication.

I shall continue to update my site with any developments and with media coverage and commentary.

New blog from Allen Frances, MD, yesterday, who had led the Task Force that developed DSM-IV:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/dsm5-in-distress/201206/top-10-indicators-dsm-5-openness

Top 10 Indicators Of DSM-5 Openness
Challenging APA newspeak

Allen Frances, M.D. | June 15, 2012

Dx Revision Watch

Submissions to the third and final DSM-5 public review (May 2 – June 15 2012) provided to me so far are collated on these pages:

http://wp.me/PKrrB-1Ol

Page 1: International patient organizations
Phoenix Rising, US; ME Association of Denmark; National ME/FM Action Network (Canada); Action for M.E. (UK)

Page 2: Medical, allied health and other professional stakeholders
[None to date]

Page 3: Patients and advocates
UK citizen 1; Katy Debelic, Canadian patient; Suzy Chapman, UK advocate; Judith M.L. Day, patient and advocate; Joss, UK patient; Chris Douglas, UK patient; US Patient 1; B Tilley, UK patient; Susanna Agardy, Australian patient; Samuel Wales, patient; Mary Dimmock, US advocate; Lydia Hendry, UK patient; Mary M. Schweitzer, Ph.D., US patient and advocate; Peter Kemp, UK patient and advocate

Page 4: Professional bodies
British Psychological Society; American Counseling Association; Coalition for DSM-5 Reform (Society for Humanistic Psychology, Division 32 of the American Psychological Association)

--------------

If you are aware of other patient org or professional submissions that are in the public domain or for which it might be possible to negotiate for publication or if you would like your own submission included, please contact me via PM or via the Contact form on my site or by email. When providing a copy off your own submission please state how you wish to be attributed.

Suzy Chapman

Dx Revision Watch

The National Alliance of Professional Psychology Providers (NAPPP) has launched a petition for psychologists to endorse the fortcoming ICD-10-CM for Diagnosis of Mental Disorders.

The NAPPP mission is “to promote and advocate for the clinical practice of psychology. NAPPP welcomes licensed, doctoral level psychologists who provide healthcare related services. Retired psychologists, and students also are eligible for membership.”

[URL='http://www.nappp.org/ICD.html'][url]http://www.nappp.org/ICD.html[/URL][/URL]

Petition to Endorse ICD-10-CM for Diagnosis of Mental Disorders

The purpose of this petition is to establish a national policy for psychological practitioners to use the standards of the World Health Organization (WHO) for the diagnosis and treatment of mental disorders...