• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Drugs linked to mitochondrial toxicity (eg: tetracycline, minocycline, metformin)

pattismith

Paroxetin Maleate and Fluoxetine have inhibitory effects on OXPHOS:

upload_2017-11-8_16-18-51.png

Last edited:

Hip

@pattismith, in Table 1, do the figures in red represent decreases in the mitochondrial complexes I to IV, whereas the figures in green and yellow represent boosts to these complexes?

pattismith

@pattismith, in Table 1, do the figures in red represent decreases in the mitochondrial complexes I to IV, whereas the figures in green and yellow represent boosts to these complexes?

I understand that:

Green is for efficency between 122 to 75 % (over 100% means to me that the complex is boosted actually)
Yellow for efficiency between 34 to 74%
Red for efficiency 33 or under 33%

Do you think I am wrong?

Hip

Green is for efficency between 122 to 75 % (over 100% means to me that the complex is boosted actually)
Yellow for efficiency between 34 to 74%
Red for efficiency 33 or under 33%

That makes sense.

I guess then anyone taking fluoxetine could offset its inhibiting effects on complex I (complex I is down to just 31% on fluoxetine) by taking supplements that boost complex I, which include pyrroloquinoline quinone (PQQ), gingko biloba and melatonin (at night).

There is a list of supplements and drugs that boost the various mitochondrial complexes in this post.

pattismith

That makes sense.

I guess then anyone taking fluoxetine could offset its inhibiting effects on complex I (complex I is down to just 31% on fluoxetine) by taking supplements that boost complex I, which include pyrroloquinoline quinone (PQQ), gingko biloba and melatonin (at night).

There is a list of supplements and drugs that boost the various mitochondrial complexes in this post.
thank you,
this post is one more treasure you have granted this forum with!

alex3619

I'm not sure it's that easy to notice that the drug is doing damage to the mitochondria. Metformin is a hugely popular drug for Type 2 diabetes, yet of the 10-12 patients on this forum who mentioned trying it, none are still taking it. All but one stopped it due to it making them feel worse.
You can add me to that list. I have bad circulation in my left ankle after the titanium implant on my bone. My new doc wanted me back on metformin as my blood results were suddenly much worse. I was reluctant, explained there might be problems, but took two, one a day, before problems arose.

After the second one my left ankle got really itchy. I rubbed it, not really scratching it. A few hours later a dozen blisters formed, then the skin fell off, leaving a dozen fingernail sized ulcers. That was a month ago. They did not start to heal till I stopped taking the metformin. They are slowly healing, but its not even half done yet.

Metformin works in part by decreasing energy production including via pyruvate dehydrogenase, though I have not looked deeply at the literature on this. Its almost like doubling down on ME pathology. Its also known to slow wound healing.

If you have ME and are prescribed Metformin be prepared to stop taking them if you get side effects.

Last edited: