• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Drs in London

garcia

Aristocrat Extraordinaire
Hi all I'm looking for a doctor in london to support my benefits application (ESA and DLA). Does anyone know of any good private doctors (or even nhs) in the London Area who could help in this capacity?

Many thanks!

Jenny

Hi all I'm looking for a doctor in london to support my benefits application (ESA and DLA). Does anyone know of any good private doctors (or even nhs) in the London Area who could help in this capacity?

Many thanks!

If you could get a referral to the Royal Free Fatigue clinic, Dr Gabrielle Murphy is good at supporting benefits applications, I hear.

Jenny

anna8

Hi could I ask if there is any me/CFS doctors on the NHS! Or are they all private? Is the Royal free clinic as is sounds free!

Anna x

golden

i am not sure there are any in the UK :( if there are i havent found them.

dr myhill does the mitochondrial function blood test and then may help out with claim forms.
good luck

vli

U can see dr Amolak Bansal either on the nhs or privately, but he is the ONLY immunologist on his team on the nhs. the rest are psychologists, i wld be VERY careful abt that.

Jenny

Hi could I ask if there is any me/CFS doctors on the NHS! Or are they all private? Is the Royal free clinic as is sounds free!

Anna x

The Fatigue Clinic is within the Infectious Diseases department at the Royal Free Hospital in Hampstead, North London. It is a NHS clinic.

There are lots of these clinics in NHS hospitals all over the UK, but most only offer CBT and GET as 'treatments'.

snowathlete

I had a very good report from an occupational health consultant years ago - I actually had to see him because work wanted an independent opinion, which employers often do before they terminate your employment. His report was thorough, and in essence he said I was screwed - no chance of recovery in the foreseeable future etc. Depressing reading it, but I thought it would help my claim for ESA, especially being independent and him being very high up...it didn't though. My experience with the DWP is that they don't take a blind bit of notice of what any doctor says other than their own. Sure, they'll take a photocopy and attach it to your file but they don't consider it when making the decision. Where it can be helpful is in your appeal tribunal, so worth doing, just bare in mind that's probably where you will end up still.

anna8

Like Garcia! I think I'm going to need some support for DLA! I won my claim for ESA largely I think to the amount of medication I'm on, but I think I may need more evidence for DLA! Thanks for the info jenny I've just googled the royal free hospital and it does sound interesting! Not sure what my doctor will make of it!

Yes Dr Amolak Bansal is lovely. However his department has no funding for patient transport, so no good unless you have someone to take you. He did ask my GP to give me low dose HC and vit b12 injections.He did say to me he's not able to help with reports etc at the mo as he's too busy.
I found the best way is to get everything diagnosed separately, such as fibromyalgia, EDS, POTS etc.
And make sure you get membership to the benefits and work website, well eorth it and will tell you how to fill the forms the best.

anna8

Yes I think you are right angel!
I've decided to get my doctor to look I to all my symptoms separately! I myself think it it all coming from my problem in the jaw bone!
But I need everything to be investigated! I've had a really bad week with heart palpitations and shortness of breath! I need my doctor to look into it but when I have mention it he just says it stress! So annoying! Each time I go and see another doctor and they find nothing wrong! It cips away at my confidence to see another!

Well feel free to message me anytime. It's so interesting what you say about the jaw bone as that's something I've been looking at recently.
If you get a lot of pain as well as being diagnosed with fibro you may find it useful to see your dentist and find out if you have TMJ, if you do a gumshield can really help reduce pain.
POTS you could test for yourself at home before going to see your GP.