• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dreaming?

Have you had significant changes in dreaming at night? I know our REM and sleep patterns are messed up.
Before I got sick I had very vivid dreams that actually made sense. When I first got sick my dreams completely went away for months. A few months later i stated having very vague almost evil dreams many times that made no sense. Then I started having dreams that made very realistic sense but it seemed like I wasn’t really sleeping. Now my dreams are kind of a combination of all the dream cycles I’ve experienced for the last 18 months.
Just curious to hear your experiences.

Sidney

Have you had significant changes in dreaming at night? I know our REM and sleep patterns are messed up.
Before I got sick I had very vivid dreams that actually made sense. When I first got sick my dreams completely went away for months. A few months later i stated having very vague almost evil dreams many times that made no sense. Then I started having dreams that made very realistic sense but it seemed like I wasn’t really sleeping. Now my dreams are kind of a combination of all the dream cycles I’ve experienced for the last 18 months.
Just curious to hear your experiences.
My experience has been very similar: always a very ‘active’, vivid dreamer, remembering a lot, when mecfs got properly going, (after some other a.i. diseases), about 3 years ago, dreams completely stopped.
Now 3 years on, they are creeping back - not quite remembered, but there. I can’t account for it - maybe Brain is becoming accustomed to Fog?

alkt

the most vivid dreams I have had occurred during the initial flue virus . my sleep has been so poor/broken since then that I barely remember having any dreams in the years since.

datadragon

Vitamin B6 is responsible for the remembering of dreams - lucid dreaming. In my view of how this ME/CFS progresses,the lack of magnesium or zinc and maybe even the B2 keeps the conversion of B6 from occuring to its active form P5P causing a deficiency if you dont get enough or just from lack of enough intake. You can take the active form P5P, and will start to remember dreams when enough. The first I read about that was in a book Nutrition and Mental Illness An orthomolecular approach to balancing body chemistry by Carl C Pfeiffer, PhD MD. Maybe first try a B complex with the active P5P so you get all of them

https://forums.phoenixrising.me/ind...ses-me-cfs-not-germs.60072/page-2#post-980595

Carl C Pfeiffer, Phd, MD in that book says that 11% of the normal population and 30% of schizophrenics has pyroluria, an abnormal production of a group of chemicals called pyrroles. A patient with a high levels of pyrroles in the urine needs more B6 and Zinc since these pyrroles rob the body of these essential nutrients. Under stress, those with pyroluria would also have a even harder time.

Last edited:

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I haven't had any changes in dreams but it is interesting to me that I am never sick in my dreams even though I have been sick "while awake" for a very long time. It is like a nightly vacation from illness!

Wolfcub

Yes I have noticed some changes. Leading up to getting sick maybe or a couple of years actually I found it so hard to remember dreams. I always remembered dreams. Then all of a sudden I'd get a night with five or six clear ones that I did recall very well.
But as soon as I felt unwell, dreams disappeared or my memory of them did. I thought it was because I was sleeping more deeply as the body's attempt to heal. And probably waking up in a non-REM stage owing to needing more sleep probably than I was getting (8 hrs.)

A few times this last 10 weeks I remembered dreams but not as well as before. I feel like something came and stole my dreams away from me. I also used to have out of body experiences sometimes but nothing like that while I've been unwell.

datadragon

The book says that dream recall is a normal event in a healthy individual. Our nutrition intake is unique. If you dont recall dreams regularly, you are just currently lacking enough B6 either because of intake, demand for it by the body, or lacking enough of any of the cofactors Magnesium, Zinc, or Vitamin B2 to convert it to the P5P active form. B6 is very important for ME/CFS, I mention in this and the next post some of it. So add some P5P if you dont recall dreaming.
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/ind...ses-me-cfs-not-germs.60072/page-3#post-981126

This one looks good, 25mg per capsule, veg capsules. Or pure encapsulations if you need 50 at a time.
https://www.amazon.com/5-Phosphate-Supplement-Vegetarian-Seeking-Health/dp/B00XO756X2/
You have to be careful with mag and zinc if you are in adrenal exhaustion because it will mobilize the stored metals that have built up in your tissues once you start up the adrenals again, and if your liver/bile flow etc arent up to it, it will just redistribute the metals causing effects. That is why practitioners usually use a binder like Pectaclear, (or Pure Body Extra Strength when liver function is poor) as they start to bring your adrenals back up to help detoxify those released metals, as well as focus on improving liver and bile flow, and ceruloplasmin production to keep the copper from being free.

Last edited:
I used to dream, then as I got sick stopped having any sort of memorable dreams. I was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea and have started CPAP therapy with the only noticeable change being that I've started having dreams again. I can't always recall them, but this is sort of how it was before I was feeling ill.