• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr Peter Rowe webinar on conditions that cause PEM - Thurs July 16 2015

Valentijn

I was extremely impressed with Dr Rowe. Sometimes researchers focused on OI can see ME and PEM in overly simplistic terms, but he does seem to have the full picture. And his research is geared at delving into it even further: not just typical PEM, but also cognitively, socially, and biomechanically triggered PEM.

He's looking for answers based on sound biomedical theories, and seems to be using sound methodology.

shahida

does anyone know how to explain to a GP that just because i look Ok now this doesnt mean i can repeatedly do this- tha t there's pem and an accumulative effect of activity leading to worsening at some point down the line. How do i explain in convincing terms the pem aspect? thanks

eafw

How do i explain in convincing terms the pem aspect?

Your (our) ability to explain is not really the issue.

If the Dr wants to understand they will - what you already said in your post should be good enough - it's not actually a hard concept and these are supposed to be intelligent people.

But if they are sitting there mentally going "la la la health anxiety/deconditioning" then however good an explanation you give it won't matter, just more "proof" that it's psychological/not trying hard enough.

alex3619

I had to go out today due to issues with my bank. I was tired afterwards, despite limited walking, and sitting down for most of the two hours. I took a long time (an extra several hours) before I was ready to go to bed. I slept ... for three hours. I woke far more exhausted, bad enough that I can not sleep right now. How do you explain to a doc the delayed exhaustion so profound you cannot sleep?

We need the science on this to advance, just as we need cures. Until we understand the difference between PEM/s and fatigue, its going to be hard to convince many people.

This video is a nice summary of many of the findings.

shahida

well said , Alex. it does something to your brain- maybe it makes oxyen/blood flow more restricted when we do stuff so that the sleep area doesnt get enough blood- hence worse sleep?