The 12th Invest in ME Conference, Part 1
OverTheHills presents the first article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME international Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Dr Peter Rowe webinar on conditions that cause PEM - Thurs July 16 2015

Discussion in 'Upcoming ME/CFS Events' started by Sasha, Jul 12, 2015.

1. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    I think the Lights are still doing research on this, or planning it. We might see more in the future.

Hutan likes this.
  2. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

I was extremely impressed with Dr Rowe. Sometimes researchers focused on OI can see ME and PEM in overly simplistic terms, but he does seem to have the full picture. And his research is geared at delving into it even further: not just typical PEM, but also cognitively, socially, and biomechanically triggered PEM.

He's looking for answers based on sound biomedical theories, and seems to be using sound methodology.

Dolphin, SOC, Sushi and 4 others like this.
  3. shahida

shahida Senior Member

does anyone know how to explain to a GP that just because i look Ok now this doesnt mean i can repeatedly do this- tha t there's pem and an accumulative effect of activity leading to worsening at some point down the line. How do i explain in convincing terms the pem aspect? thanks

4. eafw

eafw Senior Member

UK
    Your (our) ability to explain is not really the issue.

If the Dr wants to understand they will - what you already said in your post should be good enough - it's not actually a hard concept and these are supposed to be intelligent people.

But if they are sitting there mentally going "la la la health anxiety/deconditioning" then however good an explanation you give it won't matter, just more "proof" that it's psychological/not trying hard enough.

Hutan, ukxmrv, jimells and 3 others like this.
  5. justy

justy Donate Advocate Demonstrate

U.K
    Here is the talk from You Tube

Dolphin, DeGenesis, rosie26 and 9 others like this.
  6. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

Fascinating case study of OI from BMJ from the 1930s.

Dolphin likes this.
  7. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    I had to go out today due to issues with my bank. I was tired afterwards, despite limited walking, and sitting down for most of the two hours. I took a long time (an extra several hours) before I was ready to go to bed. I slept ... for three hours. I woke far more exhausted, bad enough that I can not sleep right now. How do you explain to a doc the delayed exhaustion so profound you cannot sleep?

We need the science on this to advance, just as we need cures. Until we understand the difference between PEM/s and fatigue, its going to be hard to convince many people.

This video is a nice summary of many of the findings.

Dolphin, SOC, ahmo and 6 others like this.
  8. shahida

shahida Senior Member

well said , Alex. it does something to your brain- maybe it makes oxyen/blood flow more restricted when we do stuff so that the sleep area doesnt get enough blood- hence worse sleep?

9. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Ooh! Ooh! Dr Rowe's answers to the questions he was sent but didn't have time to address in the webinar have been published.

http://solvecfs.org/dr. peter-rowe-part-one

Edit: Oh, this is the first part of a series because we asked so many questions. :cool:

Be sure to leave a message thanking Dr Rowe! :)

Dolphin, SOC, Sushi and 1 other person like this.
  10. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Dolphin, Hutan, mango and 1 other person like this.
  11. Battery Muncher

Battery Muncher Senior Member

@Sasha thanks for flagging these up, I look forward to reading them when I have the time/energy.

Sasha likes this.
  12. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    mango likes this.
  13. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Fourth and final instalment.

Please do leave a message and thank Dr. Rowe for answering these extra questions. He didn't have to but he's been very generous with his time. :)

Hutan likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.