• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr Naviaux's Suramin & Autism Trial - publication and interview

alex3619

The "toxicity" you're referring to, is that gastritis (etc.) ???

Toxicity from NSAIDs primarily, but not only, (and it varies with the type of NSAIDs, as COX-2 inhibitors are still toxic) slow gut healing. The gut takes damage all the time. If healing cannot keep up with damage you get ulcers. Other drugs have other toxic effects. The point is many drugs work on specific pathways, and pushing or suppressing those can push things out of balance. That can have consequences. Very often we do not understand those consequences, or their specific causes, and things just get written up as "side effects".

This is complicated by drug activation and clearance rates. A big dose can have no effect, and a small dose can be dangerous, with just alterations in drug activation and clearance.

perrier

This certainly bothered me when I read Naviaux's metabolomics paper when it first came out a while ago. Not just that I could find no references to the Cell Danger Response other than those authored by Naviaux, but that he spoke about it as if it were well established.

Of course, science needs maverick thinkers and Naviaux should be encouraged and supported to take his ideas as far as he can. Science history is full of out-of-the-box thinking that went against the established ideas and were proven correct (e.g., Barry Marshal, Helicobacter pylori and stomach ulcers). But for every maverick that was proven correct, there were many more who were proven wrong and their ideas are now forgotten. We don't yet know which side of history Naviaux's Cell Danger Response will be on and it will probably be some time before we do.

In the meantime, I see a little of @Kina 's pessimism as protective. Pinning all your hopes on another theory that doesn't pan out can become emotionally draining. I'm not dissing those who are optimistic about where this may lead; just pointing out there is nothing wrong with a dose of realism and even pessimism also.

Last edited:
I find this very problematic. A lot of autistic people don't want to be cured and the autistic community has been criticizing this kind of understanding of autism as behavior. I wonder if Naviaux has had a dialogue with ASAN or some other autistic self-advocacy organization about doing this kind of research.

Thomas

I find this very problematic. A lot of autistic people don't want to be cured and the autistic community has been criticizing this kind of understanding of autism as behavior. I wonder if Naviaux has had a dialogue with ASAN or some other autistic self-advocacy organization about doing this kind of research.
Yeah maybe if you’re an Aspy with genius level math skills that’s able to live alone. But I’m guessing the parents with kids who can’t speak, shake back and forth, have multiple seizures a day, and shit their pants would welcome an effective treatments or “cure”.

Also, if an effective treatment is discovered by Naviaux or some other researcher, no one is going to be forced to take it. So anyone that treasures their autism and sees it as a gift or whatever can continue to do so uninterrupted.

Murph

:)

I"m sure some do and some don't want to be cured. The great thing about a cure existing would be that they get to be able to choose.