• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr. Lipkin on Dr. Oz show Thurs 5 March about ME/CFS

A.B.

A "functional" problem means you're healthy and the problems exist only in your mind.

I don't know how this sort of mind body magic is supposed to work but that's what they believe. And since they can't demonstrate that this is true they don't have to demonstrate it. Weird how educated rational people are unable to recognize some forms of quackery.

Mij

https://www.facebook.com/drmarkhyman/posts/106767226114445

http://drhyman.com/blog/2013/05/24/the-one-diet-that-can-cure-most-disease-part-ii/

"My true goal is to help people feel better. Period.

Because I once was seriously ill with chronic fatigue syndrome, I know what it’s like to wake up every morning feeling like you can’t go on or to have a thousand and one other minor complaints that lower your capacity to enjoy life.

Now, of course, with more serious illness, it may take more than one week to find the cause and the cure (although by using the systems of UltraWellness and functional medicine, it is possible for so many millions with chronic illness to get better over time)."

Kati

Patient in training
https://www.facebook.com/drmarkhyman/posts/106767226114445

http://drhyman.com/blog/2013/05/24/the-one-diet-that-can-cure-most-disease-part-ii/

"My true goal is to help people feel better. Period.

Because I once was seriously ill with chronic fatigue syndrome, I know what it’s like to wake up every morning feeling like you can’t go on or to have a thousand and one other minor complaints that lower your capacity to enjoy life.

Now, of course, with more serious illness, it may take more than one week to find the cause and the cure (although by using the systems of UltraWellness and functional medicine, it is possible for so many millions with chronic illness to get better over time)."

Functional medicine is not medicine, period

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
Do the other guests (apart from Dr Lipkin) normally appear on the show?

GUESTS: Dr. Jennifer Caudle , Dr. Ian Lipkin , Dr. Julie Holland , Tia Brown , Dr. Mark Hyman

No, I believe that they are all there for us. I did read Dr. Caudle is a regular "medical expert" that appears on many shows including Dr. Oz.

Antares in NYC

It’s Not Chronic Fatigue: The New Disease Causing Your Exhaustion
Airs 3/05/2015

For years, doctors were skeptical about chronic fatigue syndrome despite the exhaustion felt by women. A new diagnosis may explain why you’re exhausted. The five questions every woman should ask herself.

GUESTS: Dr. Jennifer Caudle , Dr. Ian Lipkin , Dr. Julie Holland , Tia Brown , Dr. Mark Hyman
Women? Do I need to check my gender? This guy is a serious hack. I'm worried about how he's going to cover this. Hope Dr. Lipkin can bring some sense to this sh*tshow.

catly

A "functional" problem means you're healthy and the problems exist only in your mind.

I don't know how this sort of mind body magic is supposed to work but that's what they believe. And since they can't demonstrate that this is true they don't have to demonstrate it. Weird how educated rational people are unable to recognize some forms of quackery.

You forgot to add all the supplements they also want to sell that they happen to have conveniently in their own little pharmacy with 1000% mark up and also the IV treatments--that you must buy in a package deal that costs between 5-10K for 6 months and all the extra tests for diet allergies, cortisol you name a bunch of things that insurance doesn't cover and some states outlaw. You know it takes time and $$$$$$$$$$$ to undue all the harm we have caused in our bodies that caused us to get ME/CFS--I mean SEID.

Ugh-- forgive my rant.

I just hope Dr. Lipkin gets to make some good points but am rather cringing in anticipation of Oz and the others trying to take the IOM report and Hornig/Lipkin findings and come up a sell for their functional medicine interventions, including mind/body, stress relief, supplements etc. If I could only get the money back on that stuff, that almost KILLED me, I would give it to the Columbia CII.

Gamboa

After looking at the sites listed for Dr. Hyman, functional medicine doesn't look bad.

"Functional Medicine incorporates the latest in genetic science, systems biology, and understanding of how environmental and lifestyle factors influence the emergence and progression of disease." - See more at: https://www.functionalmedicine.org/What_is_Functional_Medicine/AboutFM/#sthash.uK51lI7l.dpuf

Dr. Hyman is a medical doctor, which I know doesn't necessarily mean much, but he isn't just a self taught quack pushing some herbal tea. They appear to be into genomics, proteomics and metabolomics, which is something a lot of us in the ME/CFS world are interested in.

Perhaps, fingers crossed, this won't be so bad.

waiting

@waiting - would you be happy for the thread to be retitled, 'Dr Lipkin on Dr Oz show Thurs 5 March about ME/CFS'?

@Kina, could this be done if @waiting is happy? I think a lot of people would be interested in Dr Lipkin appearing.

@Sasha @Kina, I just edited the title -- thank you for making that suggestion -- Dr. Lipkin on a popular, daily TV show is definitely the headlining event!

waiting

Gamboa

Dr Hyman is a regular guest on Dr Oz. A lot of what he is about, from what little I just looked up, appears to be common sense stuff such as eating a healthy diet. He is an 8 time, #1 New York Times bestseller and a family physician who practices functional medicine, which is really integrative medicine- a combo of traditional western and naturopathic. My main complaint with him is that he says that he had CFS and cured it by changing his diet and lifestyle. I hope that Dr. Lipkin addresses that by either saying that he most likely didn't have it in the first place OR that there are many different forms or subsets of ME/CFS and that most can't be cured by changing diet and lifestyle.

After the last debacle a few years ago when Dr. Oz did a bit about ME/CFS with Dr/ Teitlebaum and got bombarded with complaints I would think he now knows a lot more about the disease now.

I was thinking of writing to the show before taping but it is most likely too late already. They will have taped this episode most likely early in the week. I was thinking we could offer suggestions but it's too late now.

oceiv

I don't like Dr. Oz (whoever said "hack" above describes my opinion). But I will record it, thanks for the heads-up. By the description though, is Dr. Lipkin's role on the show only going to be to tell these women why they don't have ME/CFS? I hope Dr.Lipkin manages to get some useful info out in the short time allotted. There are 2 other subjects listed for the hour.

In my area, Dr. Oz airs on the local Fox affiliate, not on ABC. Had to search for it. Some daytime shows air on different stations in different television markets.

Dr. Hyman helped a friend of mine, who did not have ME/CFS. What she described wasn't "all in your head" type medicine. The friend worked in a health field and had significant medical training. What she described was more Holistic/Integrative medicine. Medicine plus alternative. Not mental strategies without medicine. I haven't looked into him further, though.

Edit: Yes, what @Gamboa describes is along the lines of how my friend talked about him.

Aurator

Functional disorders are discussed here. CFS is itself a functional disorder, according to them.
Reading the article, I'd say many medieval apothecaries had more open minds.
I particularly like their attempt to make CBT a treatment immune to criticism by demanding that patients' expectations of it be "realistic":
"The patient’s expectations from therapy:
Unrealistic expectations can lead to treatment failure. Many patients expect to be cured. In the absence of cures if the patient’s expectations are realistic there is less danger that the results will be disappointing."

Kati

Patient in training
Sorry, but I'm none the wiser about functional medicine for reading either your or Gamboa's link.
This page in particular, which I was expecting to be informative, is just high-sounding clap-trap, completely devoid of substance. The whole thing leaves me cold.
OMG @Aurator, I opened the page you linked and looked at the logo. It is very similar to the logo that OMI is using. :cry: