• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr Jack Kruse's explanation of what CFS is

Gondwanaland

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/mic/vitamins/niacin#disease-prevention
Skin
Niacin deficiency can lead to severe sunlight sensitivity in exposed skin. Given the implication of NAD-dependent enzymes in DNA repair, there has been some interest in the effect of niacin on skin health. In vitro and animal experiments have helped gather information, but human data on niacin/NAD status and skin cancer are severely limited. One study reported that niacin supplementation decreased the risk of ultraviolet light (UV)-induced skin cancers in mice, despite the fact that mice convert tryptophan to NAD more efficiently than rats and humans and thus do not get severely deficient (43). Hyper-proliferation and impaired differentiation of skin cells can alter the integrity of the skin barrier and increase the occurrence of pre-malignant and malignant skin conditions. A protective effect of niacin was suggested by topical application of myristyl nicotinate, a niacin derivative, which successfully increased the expression of epidermal differentiation markers in subjects with photodamaged skin (44). The activation of the "niacin receptors," GPR109A and GPR109B, by pharmacologic doses of niacin could be involved in improving skin barrier function. Conversely, differentiation defects in skin cancer cells were linked to the abnormal cellular localization of defective "niacin receptors" (45). Nicotinamide restriction with subsequent depletion of cellular NAD was shown to increase oxidative stress-induced DNA damage in a precancerous skin cell model, implying a protective role of NAD-dependent pathways in cancer (46). Altered NAD availability also affects sirtuin expression and activity in UV-exposed human skin cells. Along with PARPs, NAD-consuming sirtuins could play an important role in the cellular response to photodamage and skin homeostasis (47).

TreePerson

I have no idea who Jack Kruse is.

I have huge improvements when sun bathing and taking fish oil. I live in a fishing village in a sunny climate for 6 months and I am more healthier there.

I buy the sun light theory. My vitD level was 40 units (can't remember the unit sorry but upper limit was 50) last september after 3 months solid sun bathing for approximately 5 -6 hours a day. It dropped to 25 in November. Less than 2 months.
When I was at level three to four I found being outside in the Sun helped a lot. It seemed to give me energy and I was able to retain that energy. Now I am between level one and two and I find being in the Sun makes me worse. I am sad about it.

TreePerson

It's actually just this moment occurred to me that my current deterioration happened to coincide with installing wifi about 5 years ago. Although I feel it is unlikely to be the reason, I would like to know if it's actually possible to get online without Wi-Fi? I use an iPhone for most things. If I turn the Wi-Fi off in the house and use 4G is that still Wi-Fi? I am really ignorant about anything IT related. I suppose I could just switch it on once a week for my shopping as an experiment. It would mean no TV on my laptop. Anyone tried this? No Wi-Fi at all? And also if your neighbours have it to what extent does it come through the walls? LOL.

erin

I use a network cable to the modem which connected to our land line (telephone). No wi-fi. It's been a year without it. It was my husbands idea he's the techy. He is seriously worried about mobile phone and wireless technology.

sb4

@TreePerson I think excessive nnEMF could play a big role in all this. You can get online without nnEMF by hooking up a laptop or PC to your modem via ethernet cable. Remember to disable the wifi adapter on your computer settings. The phone is constantly sending and recieving nnEMF, especially whilst using 4g internet. Keep your plane in airplane mode most of the day.

You may also want to try transdermal magnesium. Someone else in this thread metioned it helped there nnEMF sensitivity. EMF increases calcium influx to a cell, magnesium is a sort of antaganist to this I think thats how it works.

The emf can easily get through walls so neibours wifi is a problem as is phone towers radio/tv towers baisically anything wireless.

TreePerson

@TreePerson I think excessive nnEMF could play a big role in all this. You can get online without nnEMF by hooking up a laptop or PC to your modem via ethernet cable. Remember to disable the wifi adapter on your computer settings. The phone is constantly sending and recieving nnEMF, especially whilst using 4g internet. Keep your plane in airplane mode most of the day.

You may also want to try transdermal magnesium. Someone else in this thread metioned it helped there nnEMF sensitivity. EMF increases calcium influx to a cell, magnesium is a sort of antaganist to this I think thats how it works.

The emf can easily get through walls so neibours wifi is a problem as is phone towers radio/tv towers baisically anything wireless.

I do use transdermal magnesium. I find it helps though I have no idea if I am actually sensitive to Wi-Fi or not. I have had ME for a long time and it predates Wi-Fi. So really I am just looking at things that help or hinder. I would have to get my daughters boyfriend to come and do that I am completely rubbish with cables not helped by the fact that I can't crawl around in cupboards. So I could use just 4G occasionally by keeping it in Airplane Mode ? The other big thing is that I have a normal TV connected to aerial but since a bad relapse in the summer I haven't been able to watch TV downstairs so all my TV watching is done via laptop in bed. And I kind of look forward to it. If I get rid of my own Wi-Fi and I Live in a semi detached house is there really any point?
I do have quite a intense longing to go and lie down in the deep countryside and listen to the birds. And I trust those kind of feelings. Sadly I have reached a point where I would need someone to drive me and carry me. So it's not going to happen.

TreePerson

I use a network cable to the modem which connected to our land line (telephone). No wi-fi. It's been a year without it. It was my husbands idea he's the techy. He is seriously worried about mobile phone and wireless technology.
Have you had any improvement from it?

sb4

? The other big thing is that I have a normal TV connected to aerial but since a bad relapse in the summer I haven't been able to watch TV downstairs so all my TV watching is done via laptop in bed.

It's relatively simple my friend. Just buy a long ethernet cable like this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5m-LONG-E...006758?hash=item488485cda6:g:CdAAAOSwa39UwTbS
and plug one end into your modem (the thing thats connected to your phone line) and the other in your laptop. All laptops pretty much have a jack for this.

Laptops do pump out a lot of nnEMF and if you have it sitting on your lap this could be bad news. Yes if you keep it on airplane mode most of the time thats better, however be aware that when you take it out of airplane mode the nnEMF shoots up for a few seconds whilst it searches for a cell tower.

I do have quite a intense longing to go and lie down in the deep countryside and listen to the birds. And I trust those kind of feelings. Sadly I have reached a point where I would need someone to drive me and carry me. So it's not going to happen.

Trust these feelings. The country sounds would activate your vagus nerve and relax you. The grounding from earth will provide electrons, kind of like taking a bunch of antioxidants as far as I understand, and you will be far away from nnEMF and in natural sun light.

I too unfortunately am in a position where I cannot do this without assistance :(

TreePerson

Thanks @sb4 it might be worth me just experimenting with being off-line and no TV for a week or two rather than doing the cable thing first. Is there anything esoteric you can do to protect your house from other peoples Wi-Fi? Yes would be so nice to be able to try months in the countryside. I need to think of a way to do it. The trouble is once you have deteriorated with ME it is harder to do the things that help you. Still need to think positively it's just a few steps at a time I've improved before.

erin

It was the sun. I am very fair-skinned and spent my childhood in the 70s exposing myself to sun unprotected at every opportunity (typical English behaviour at the time). The doctors at the National Center for Tumour Diseases were quite sure about this, I assume on the basis of the thousands of patients (puddings?) they see and the research that they do. It also accords with the advice I get from my skin doctor, who I see every six months.

Ok, sun exposure can increase the risk of skin cancer for some people. I thought that as nobody had mentioned it in the first 4 pages of this thread and that sun-bathing was being recommended (sweepingly or otherwise, I dunno) without mention of the risks, I should point them out.

That's great, and I'm glad you've found a way to get some improvement. I would like to be able to lie in the sun too, it would do wonders for my vitamin D levels, but the risk to my skin is one I'm not prepared to take.

My sister-in-law has smoked 40 a day for the last 25 years and she's fine too.

I know you aren't generalizing or giving advice, but still, that statement really should come with a health warning.

I don't think labelling views you don't agree with as "scaremongering" is helpful.

In 7 billion years the sun is going to explode and kill us all. It will be a natural event, and probably very beautiful.

@TiredSam, I felt that I maybe upset you a bit with my comment. Sorry if I did this, I don't at all intend to upset anyone. We're all different some of us do very well in the sun and some don't. That's what all I'm trying to say.

I am not saying sun exposure does not increase the risk of skin cancer, I actually agree with you. It does. But not to everyone. Large number of human beings I believe work outdoors, agricultural workers never use sun screen etc in many parts of the world.

I understand the risks for fair skinned people. My husband is very fair and he used to struggle with sun exposure. He's actually now got used to it. He uses astaxanthin and much less sun screen (which worries me!). He insists sun screen is cancerous too! If he had skin cancer and still sunbathe I would be so upset. I feel you can stay in the shade and still get sun efficiently and increase the vitD naturally. That's what we do and I believe many people who live in the northern hemisphere don't know how to sun bathe.

They usually have 2 weeks in the sun in their holidays and they literally get baked in those two weeks. They look very sore actually. This is very dangerous, they induce serious damage to their skin. You need to get yourself slowly expose and then do the maintaining dose. Just like a supplement or a medicine. Sun exposure has side effects as well, especially for the fair skinned. And you are right, this need to be mentioned in the beginning of the thread. But still, I can comfortably say that sun exposure does not equates skin cancer for majority.

I don't understand the smoking in relation to what I wrote. ( terrible brain fog and not a native english speaker)

I am not labeling anything, I actually agree with your views, I just don't agree the generalizing. That's all.

And I don't think anyone knows what will happen in 7 billion years.

However, I understand your fear of sun as it gave you skin cancer. It is well nasty. One of my closest dear friend is dealing stage 3 melanoma, she's been an absolute warrior and she's miraculously winning the battle. I don't want you to think that I'm ignorant to skin cancer.

sb4

@TreePerson It's of course your choice, but I have read enough about EMF to try and take as much precortions as possible. Its only a couple of quid for the cable, and if you PM me I will tell you how to disable both your modems wifi and your laptops, I assure you it's not that difficult

TreePerson

@TreePerson It's of course your choice, but I have read enough about EMF to try and take as much precortions as possible. Its only a couple of quid for the cable, and if you PM me I will tell you how to disable both your modems wifi and your laptops, I assure you it's not that difficult
Yes I will look into it. Though it's a long way from my modem to my bedroom. Can I protect my house from next door?

TreePerson

Hi @sb4. Can I text without using 4G? I thought I could but my phone is not letting me. 4G is the same as Wi-Fi? Sorry for all the questions.

erin

Have you had any improvement from it?

I don't see a major direct improvement. It's a little restrictive to be attached to a cable. This made me spend less time on the internet which is a bonus.

The other thing is I used to get really hot when laptop resting on my upper legs with the wifi l , it is less hot on my legs with the cable connection.

brenda

I use ethernet connection on my pc and am swapping my tablet for another make which will allow me to connect with cable too so I can use it in bed. You can buy a meter to show where in the house the nnEMF's are the strongest and avoid sitting and sleeping in those areas. Distance helps a bit from neighbours EMF.

sb4

@TreePerson The 4G on your phone is different from the wifi on your phone. You want to disable the 4g internet and wifi on your phone when not in use, and also put it in airplane mode when not recieving phone calls.

There is not much you can do to protect your house from outside EMF, best to reduce exposure of things in your control. The closer and more powerful the signal, the worse it is for you.

You can buy very long cables to get from downstairs to upstairs, thats what I did.

TreePerson

Thanks. I think I will have to continue to use 4G as my phone won't let me text without it and I have several who children I like to feel can get in touch with me easily. But I can use the Wi-Fi a lot less and I can turn the phone off at night. I will see if any of this helps with sleep and so on. And if I see an improvement I will get back to you about the cable. Though I'm going to trip up on it going up the stairs! Ideally I could improve to a level where I would be able to use more of the house. I'm pretty sure I know the Wi-Fi free spots. I just need to be well enough to go and sit in them more often or even most of the time. Thanks for your help.

sb4

It's not controversial that sun exposure drastically increases the risk of skin cancer. The mechanism is pretty straight-forward - radiation causes damage to the DNA of some cells, which results in mutations. When those mutations result in uncontrolled growth of cells, it's cancer.

These processes are very well researched and understood.

Here is a way sunlight could help avoid/repair uv induced damage.

UV causes increased p53 -> increased POMC -> increased alpha-MSH -> increased DNA repair

(https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2862104/)

Basilico

Florida
Yes, this is true however it bares the question why did evolution evolve us white skin if it would lead us to be killed faster? Wouldn't the black skin tribes have dominated in norther climates OR is it that the skin got lighter to allow more light through which resulted in white people being healthier in low sun climates?

As far as I knew, white skin evolved in northern humans as a way to absorb sun more readily which would mean that less sunlight was needed to produce vitamin D, something critically important in that new environment. I recently came across some further information on this topic:

Jablonski found a 1978 study that examined the effects of ultraviolet light on folate, a member of the vitamin B complex. An hour of intense sunlight, the study showed, is enough to cut folate levels in half if your skin is light. Jablonski made the next, crucial connection only a few weeks later. At a seminar on embryonic development, she heard that low folate levels are correlated with neural-tube defects such as spina bifida and anencephaly, in which infants are born without a full brain or spinal cord. https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/evolution/library/07/3/text_pop/l_073_04.html

*Also, I believe that very fair-skinned people don't have a problem with sun exposure when they are in their home countries (say Northern or Eastern Europe)...the main problem happens when they go on vacation or move to a much southern climate where they are exposed to a stronger sun that their skin isn't designed to deal with.