• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr. Gundry "Plant Paradox" diet

http://gundrymd.com/food-pyramid/

Starting a new thread here as I'm interested in hearing from anyone trying the diet in the latest book by Dr. Gundry "The Plant Paradox."

Interesting concept (remove lectins), and maybe something to try for people who haven't seen progress with "healthy" vegetable-based diets.

The diet overlaps with Dr. Terry Wahls' "Wahl's Warrior Diet." And probably Dr. Mercola's Fat for Fuel diet, and Dr. Sara Myhill who has been pushing a ketogenic diet of late. Sort of Ketogenic and Paleo, but with the emphasis not on adding anything to the diet, but removing lectins.

The book has clear Yes and No food lists, and some simple recommended products that are not Gundry's own.

It's available in public libraries, so you don't need to buy it.

One can try the diet without buying any of Gundry's well-marketed supplements.

Not pushing anything here, just looking for feedback about this diet...

Learner1

While there are some good foods, it seems faddish.

There are an awful lot of veggies missing from the approved foods in the link. Not sure we need all the nut flours. And many of us don't need the tipsy top of the pyramid.

The Perfect Health Diet by Paul Jaminet might be worth considering for those who feel keto is not right for them:

http://perfecthealthdiet.com/the-diet/

ChrisD

I heard his interview on Dave Asprey's Bulletproof podcast a few weeks ago and was very intrigued as I have already been doing a Ketogenic diet for the past month or so and have seen some small improvements anyway like reduced PEM and lowered inflammation around my sinuses and airways (clearer breathing), surges of energy to my heart and the list goes on. And what I have realised is that where I am getting inflammation right down in my body, whenever I indulge in vegetables or anything that is typically related to causing inflammation in the gut, lets just say a Pepper, then those symptoms are returning, So personally I think there is definitely something in what he is saying.

Learner1

I heard his interview on Dave Asprey's Bulletproof podcast a few weeks ago and was very intrigued as I have already been doing a Ketogenic diet for the past month or so and have seen some small improvements anyway like reduced PEM and lowered inflammation around my sinuses and airways (clearer breathing), surges of energy to my heart and the list goes on. And what I have realised is that where I am getting inflammation right down in my body, whenever I indulge in vegetables or anything that is typically related to causing inflammation in the gut, lets just say a Pepper, then those symptoms are returning, So personally I think there is definitely something in what he is saying.
Some people are allergic to nightshade vegetables. If so, itd be wise to avoid them. I didn't see eggplants or potatoes on his list, though?

FWIW, these foods mentioned above are all on Gundry's "The Just Say 'No' List of Lectin-containing foods":
--bell peppers
--chili peppers
--potatoes
--eggplant

Consult the "Plant Paradox" book for the complete Yes and No lists. It may well be faddish. The whole lectin angle seems different, though.

"Let food be your medicine" is great in theory, if you're eating the right foods. Gundry's approach explains why some people might eat a healthy, diverse, green, gluten-free diet and STILL feel weak and sick. Again, not pushing it; just inquiring.

Of course, if your mitochondria aren't working (damaged by toxins or pathogens or anything under the CFS/ME sun) the "right" foods may not help.

But we can hope that with the right foods and maybe some mito supplements (NT factor, CoQ10, PQQ, Mito-Q, NADH, D-Ribose, Adeno-B12, carnitine, etc. etc. etc.), the mitos might heal and improve, then making better use of the "right" foods...?

echobravo

Keep searching, the answer is out there
Gundry might be on to something if our disease has to do with autoimminity. He obviusly had lots if patients with food allergies, RA and other autommune conditions that improved drastically on his diet. Lectins are a major cause of leaky gut, he claims, and leaky gut causes LPS and other foreign substances to pass the gut barrier and enter circulation. Where they trigger the immune system, also by molecular mimicry (autoimmunity). Gluten is a lectin, and they are “defense mechanisms” of plants that will make animals who eat them sick. My takeaway from the book is that avoiding lectins will contrubute to healing of a leaky gut and by that a greater chance of refucing autoimmunity too. Not a quick fix probably, but maybe it will help calming down immune activaton.

i like Gundry's food pyramid a lot. i feel that gut issues are very much related to PEM and why i developed CFS/ME in the first place. i have done keto and that helps, but it's really hard to do - so after some experimentation with what carbs i can tolerate - i am moving towards cycling in and out of keto/low-carb (<30 grams) for 5-6 days and then a moderate amount of carbs with low fermentation potential for 1-2 days. i already supplement with exogenous ketones - and that plus C8 MCT seems to keep me in ketosis for at least 4 days a week. i also do a sorta-fast in that my first meal on keto days is just coffee, C8, fat (leaf lard/ghee), ketone salts, 1 g dextrose, and 1 g d-ribose. my main problems are eating things that cause sibo bloating - like dairy, most fruits and resistant starches - essentially anything with fermentation potential or too much histamine or salicylates.