• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr David Tuller@ Trial By Error: My Austrialian Tour Continued.

Countrygirl

http://www.virology.ws/2018/04/11/trial-by-error-my-australian-tour-continued/

Trial By Error: My Australian Tour, Continued
11 APRIL 2018
By David Tuller, DrPH

Last week, I spent three days in Hobart, on the island of Tasmania. Besides strolling around looking for cafes where I could drink decent coffee and write, my main work-related activity was giving a talk at Menzies Institute for Medical Research, part of the University of Tasmania. About 40 people attended, a quarter or so of them medical professionals and the rest patients and carers.

Anyway, after the Hobart talk, a young neuroscientist from the university spoke about efforts to launch a biomedical research project for the illness right there. He had trained at Oxford so was very familiar with the PACE approach and with members of the CBT/GET ideological brigades. He said he’d noticed a definite shift in attitudes towards the illness among colleagues in the last year or two. That was great to hear. It meant that the changes that have seemed apparent among those who know something about the issue might actually be filtering down to medical and health care professionals and researchers not directly involved in this particular struggle.

That talk took place the day after the SBS network aired a moving segment about the challenges Australians with ME/CFS face in seeking benefits. The young journalist who produced the segment, Simon Cunich, captured a few seconds of me in a teary-eyed state while discussing what had motivated me to work on this project. It seems like crying on national TV can boost a crowdfunding campaign! Who knew?

Last edited by a moderator:

lilpink

As I've commented on the Virology blog -

"Men shouldn't feel embarrassed to shed a tear. But watch out, because Sharpe would almost certainly put you down as depressed, and have you carted off for CBT and medication if CBT didn't work.

"

This clip -
- includes David showing genuine emotion over the suffering of the ME community worldwide. He is truly on our side and IMO we all need to support him in whatever way we can.

https://crowdfund.berkeley.edu/project/9730 (40% still to be raised)

Thanks to Janet Dafoe for backing Tuller's fund so generously.