• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr David Tuller: BMJ Still 'Looking into Lightening Process'

Countrygirl

http://www.virology.ws/2018/06/04/trial-by-error-bmj-still-looking-into-lightning-process-paper/

Trial By Error: BMJ Still “Looking Into” Lightning Process Paper
4 JUNE 2018
By David Tuller, DrPH

Two weeks ago I sent an e-mail to Sir Andrew Dillon and Professor Mark Bakeralerting them of problems with the Lightning Process study published last year in Archives of Disease in Childhood. The two men are members of the NICE Guidance Executive and have a hand in the current process of developing what might be the agency’s first ME/CFS guidance. (The 2007 guidance is for CFS/ME, and NICE has recently taken to calling the illness ME/CFS, like U.S. government agencies.)

My e-mail explained why the study’s flaws meant it should not be cited as a reason to include the Lightning Process in the list of non-pharmacological treatments to be considered. I cc’d several stakeholders in the ME/CFS guidance process as well as Fiona Godlee, editor in chief of The BMJ and editorial director at BMJ Company. I decided not to cc Nick Brown, the editor of Archives of Disease in Childhood. Dr Brown had been alerted to the problems in January and had given no signs of having done anything about the matter to date.

On Sunday, Dr Brown himself sent the following to all those included on my initial e-mail:

Dear Sir Andrew and Professor Baker

Dr Tuller’s e mail was forwarded to me by Fiona Godlee at the BMJ

We have previously acknowledged receipt of his complaints, are looking into them and, as we said, will respond fully when ready

Nick Brown

EiC, Archives of Disease in Childhood