• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr CS's 16-page report on the 2017 IiME conference

Dolphin

I thought I would highlight the following:

5. Professor Nancy Klimas – Director, Institute for Neuroimmiune Medicine, Nova Southeastern University, USA

Although Professor Klimas is best known for her research on the immunology of ME/CFS, this presentation concentrated on the genetic component. She explained how genetic studies are very costly to perform and large numbers of patients – in the region of 30,000 – are required to get meaningful results.

Professor Klimas has assembled a large multidisciplinary team, which will be led by two ‘Blue Ribbon Fellowship’ medical students. The research will aim to understand the genetic risk in ME/CFS and the possible role of gene mutations (= permanent alterations in the DNA sequence that makes up a gene, such that the sequence differs from what is found in most people). This sort of information could help to provide a ‘genetic signature’ for ME/CFS and explain why some people recover from ME/CFS and others do not.

This is going to be a global study whereby people with a diagnosis of ME/CFS will be asked to donate clinical data using social media. 600 people have signed up so far.

Participation in the study requires participants to have a computer, an email account and agreement to map their genes using a genetic testing website. People who agree to participate will be asked to provide the research group with their raw genetic data to help compile an ME/CFS Genetic Database.

Besides providing genetic data, participants will be completing online surveys at their own pace. All communication is done via secure email server – so no travel is necessary and participation can be done from home.

More information, including a video, here: http://www.nova.edu/nim/research/mecfs-genes.html

CS note: After the presentation, I spoke to Professor Klimas about the UK MEGA research study and the overlap that this has with the one she is now doing.

Last edited: