• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

dr benjamin natelson

Pink

I looked at the treatment roadmap and at the list of suggested drs, and I don't see Dr Natelson listed on either.
Is there a reason for that? Has anyone seen him, or know of his protocol?
He is very expensive, but he is not that far so I wonder if he's worthwhile to see.
His website doesn't have much information, other than a video that i cannot open.

MEPatient345

I have seen him. He’s fine in that he understands the disease and will try a bunch of drugs for you if that’s what you want to do, or the point that you are at. He’s also a good doctor to have on your side for disability claims or SSDI applications. He’ll write good letters.

But, I found his manner to be a bit paternalistic, and I basically disagreed with his approach.. the stimulants he wanted to try (why would anyone think stimulants help our incredibly sensitive to stimulation nervous systems?).

He’s a proponent of exercise, but in a very safe way. Ie. Walking the minimum you can (a minute or whatever it might be) and increase by 15 seconds a week. He fully believes this works to expand the energy envelope. Having tried it multiple times, it didn’t work for me, although I think it is worth trying.

He’s very anti antivirals, so if you want to try those, go to Levine instead.

Something that grated on me.. I was taking part in an MRI study he was running, and he tried to persuade me to do a spinal tap. He was very forceful in trying to persuade me, saying all patients should do whatever they can to contribute to science. I told him I was living alone in a walk up apartment and couldn’t risk getting worse — that made no difference. (This is what I find w doctors who are also researchers — they sometimes put their research before their patients). The technician who ran the study at the hospital said absolutely do not do the spinal tap, when I told her my circumstances, and she was shocked that he had pushed for it. (Spinal taps are mostly safe, but there is risk of a spinal leak which is very disabling in itself)

So, I guess my advice would be to see him if you need a doc on your side, but be skeptical and make your own choices about what is right for you.

Oh, one last note — his office is quite a walk down corridors to get to, if you have a low step per day limit.

Pink

Thank you , @Silencio For your reply.
Ugh I hate condescending Drs! (I was looking at old medical records & I remembered when a neurologist at nyu told me years ago that they only understand 10% of the brain's functioning, but he will attribute my fainting spells to anxiety)
So other than stimulants, which I have no interest in, what type of medications does he try?
I already had an mri, and I don't see the value in a spinal tap.
What does he think will help cfs/me? Just stimulants & excercise?

I cannot do any excercise some days I can't even walk from bed to the bathroom.

MEPatient345

He has a book that outlines his approach called “Your symptoms are real: what to do when your doctor says nothing is wrong”

He mostly tries to address pain, sleep and depression issues with the current drugs available, none of which I was willing to try (lexapro, gabapentin) or had already tried (amitriptaline, trazodone) and had terrible side effects from.

I think he tries his best with a limited arsenal of tools.. He might be good to have a history with if NIH ever does clinical trials bc he feeds patients to them and CDC.