• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr Anthony Komaroff Video - State of Knowledge - Mass CFSIDS/ME &FM Assoc.

Firestormm

I listened to this earlier. It's from the fall presentation (November, 2, 2013) and is just under an hour long. It's a review of where we are and what we know. Dr Komaroff looks back to where we were when he first presented on CFS back in 1989, and considers what we know now.

It's not bad. I think he's right about Chia - replication is needed - and Chia is the only one pursuing latent virus reactivation to that extent so I'm certainly cautious about it.
What I did find interesting, is this growing meme from Komaroff and others - including Stephen Holgate - that we may well be seeing people presenting with common symptoms but different reasons for those symptoms.

I just find it hard in my mind, still associating everyone with the same disease. If what they are saying is true - and is not simply grasping at straws when other seemingly bright avenues have proved to be dead-ends - then why are they/why are we still talking about 'ME' or 'CFS' as being one or even two diseases and not many more?

Is it not time to start talking differently?

Anyway, it's worth a listen I think and it doesn't seem to have been posted already on the forum as far as I could tell. Some things that he says I don't think are strictly accurate - but I listened to it whilst resting and I have the flu so might have misheard.

Firestormm

@Simon

I remembered something he said that I wondered about afterwards - as you do. He said about levels of lactic acid being found to be higher in the brains of people with CFS. I'd not heard that before - that lactic acid was to be found in the brain. Any thoughts?

I may be misremembering of course and I can't really be bothered to listen through this epic again, but maybe when/if you or someone else gets the chance you could help explain.

I wondered how it might relate to Newton's work on muscles and lactic acid - if indeed it does.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
@Simon

I remembered something he said that I wondered about afterwards - as you do. He said about levels of lactic acid being found to be higher in the brains of people with CFS. I'd not heard that before - that lactic acid was to be found in the brain. Any thoughts?

I may be misremembering of course and I can't really be bothered to listen through this epic again, but maybe when/if you or someone else gets the chance you could help explain.

I wondered how it might relate to Newton's work on muscles and lactic acid - if indeed it does.

I'm sure it does. No time to watch videos, but here's an article about lactate and the brain.

PS apologies for not being @Simon :D