• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr. Andrew Wakefield is suing Brian Deer and BMJ's Fiona Godlee for defamation..

I have seen Dr Wakefield's name mentioned on this forum, so I thought I'd post this in case people are interested. I apologize if this has already been posted elsewhere.

So far, I have not seen any articles written yet about Andrew Wakefield's defamation suit filed against Brian Deer and the British Medical Journal but this link came into my Twitter timeline. I'm sure there will be more news to come!

http://www.courthousenews.com/2012/01/04/BritMedJ.pdf

SilverbladeTE

Wakefield was demonized badly, and the corporate/control media have to go along with that or eat craw/get booted by their pay masters, etc
so, Wakefield has ZERO chance of getting any fair press (in general) until a proverbial scientific A-Bomb goes off and "cleans house"
ie some massive evidence/outbreak or whatever finally destroys the grasp of the "controlling interests" who are perverting science, especially science as it is portrayed to the masses (to keep them in The Mushroom Treatment) and above all, *CONTROLS/COMMERCIALIZES THE HUMAN MIND AND BODY*

He that has your cancer cure, has you by the balls!

so now, he has zero chance of most of the media announcing he's taken them to court or giving him a fair chance.

Mya Symons

Mya Symons
I have seen Dr Wakefield's name mentioned on this forum, so I thought I'd post this in case people are interested. I apologize if this has already been posted elsewhere.

So far, I have not seen any articles written yet about Andrew Wakefield's defamation suit filed against Brian Deer and the British Medical Journal but this link came into my Twitter timeline. I'm sure there will be more news to come!

http://www.courthousenews.com/2012/01/04/BritMedJ.pdf

Is there another link to this? I can't get this one to work on my computer.

Valentijn

Very interesting stuff. Taking it to court does cast a somewhat favorable light on Wakefield, since he's doing it knowing full well that all of the relevant data is going to be examined. I can't imagine someone doing that if they had something to hide. Granted ... he may not have much to lose at this point.

Enid

Wow - don't know the details but well aware of a press culture of "harrying" outside the "institution". Science is one thing - defamation is totally another.

Tony Mach

Show me the evidence.
Well, the question the court is going to answer is "Did Andrew Wakefield fraudulently manipulated his study", as the BMJ claimed. And the answer to this is probably going to be a "no". What the court is not going to answer is wether the data supports Wakefields claims - here, the answer would probably be "no" as well.

Andrew Wakefield played right into the fears of many people with very very limited data and one weak study to support his claims, and is unable to see this and act responsible. But the BMJ could have stayed professional and exposed him for the weak science he did instead they choose to libel him. Irresponsible behavior and confirmation bias all around, with believes replacing the scientific method.

And no, Andrew Wakefield is not a hero here. He publicly exposed the one whistle blower he had, who gave some information from inside the UK health system. The whistle blower thought that Wakefield cared and he got burned for it. The information he gave, by the way, are no support for Wakefields claims.

Athene

ihateticks.me
Hi Tony Mach,

You are believing what Brian Deer has put into your head. Wakefield did NOT make any false claims. Brian Deer wrote false claims which he falsely alleged Wakefield had made; then wrote that they were untrue; then he started calling for legal actain to bring Wakefield to account for those false claims. This is why Wakefield refused to recant the false claims, because you cannot take back something you never said in the first place.

What Wakefield was guilty of, the only thing he was found guilty of in the British courts, was using funds from the NHS for one research project and using part of them to fund a different research project, into a closely related medical problem that also involved autistic children.

The British Press invented lots of false claims, incuding ludicrous ones that Wakefield showed up at a children's party with syringes and paid parents to let him extract blood from the children. I think Wakefild has a very strong case for defamation and I hope, as he clearly hopes, that the US legal system will take a harder line against this than the UK one did at that time. Since the British press has been exposed as outrageously corrupt and unethical, leading to the closure of the News of The World, for example, the legal system in the UK has also become far tougher against violations of private citizens' reputations in the press.

Last time I spoke about Wakefield on this forum I was aggressively slated by a new member, who signed up calling himself "Scorpion Rising" (Yes, on a forum called Phoenix rising) and only made 2 or 3 posts ever, which were exclusively to insult me personally. The vitriol and aggression of these verbal attacks were so reminiscent of the self-righteous venom characteristic of Brian Deer's oputpourings in the press that I have wondered if he was indeed the identity behind Scorion Rising. And I am curious to see if this character, who has never made any claim to be a bona fide member of this forum by posting anything regarding CFS, will make a reappearance now?

My one final word it to say, good luck to you Andrew Wakefield, I hope you win this case. You only ever wanted to help austistic children and there are millions of parents all over the world who are grateful for what you have done.

biophile

Places I'd rather be.
Tony Mach wrote: Andrew Wakefield played right into the fears of many people with very very limited data and one weak study to support his claims, and is unable to see this and act responsible. But the BMJ could have stayed professional and exposed him for the weak science he did instead they choose to libel him.

The amusing thing to me is that this "very very limited data and one weak study" was published in the Lancet and initially defended by Richard Horton (Editor in Chief) from accusations, who later withdrew support but now is defending the PACE Trial in a similar manner after publishing that too. Like Alex I haven't done sufficient research to have an opinion on Wakefield, it looks bad at face value but my previous tendency of automatically appealing to scientific authority has been shaken after researching ME/CFS.

Athene

ihateticks.me
The British medfical Journal is funded by Glaxo Xmith Kline and Merck, which are the two manufacturers of the MMR vaccine.
I just think it is a bit too far fetched to believe the BMJ is completely unbiased.

natasa778

The allegation has been made that the BMJ is engaged in practices that are dangerous to public health:

http://niceguidelines.blogspot.com.au/2012/01/whistleblower-scientist-dr-lewis.html

This directly refers to the Wakefield story. For the record I have no opinion about Wakefield either way, as I have not done sufficient research and most of my attention is on ME.

Bye, Alex

I urge everyone with even a remote interest in either Wakefield/MMR or BMJ itself to follow the above link and download the report by Dr Lewis. It is worth all of its 167 pages :)

btw Wakefield's book is available on Amazon etc

ukxmrv

Thanks Natasha,

I've downloaded the Lewis report and printing it off in small chunks. Not the references which seem to take up a lot of space after 15 pages or so?

My library in London ordered the Wakefield book into their stock when I asked them to. Other libraries may be happy to do this as well if people are interested.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Athene quote 'My one final word it to say, good luck to you Andrew Wakefield, I hope you win this case. You only ever wanted to help austistic children and there are millions of parents all over the world who are grateful for what you have don'.

Good posts Athene as usual, can't think or read too much so very grateful for all those who provide summaries, also there is a legal fund to help with his case if anyone is interested the link is on me-cfsforums.

lookinglass

I am interested in this thread for 2 reasons.
A. I am now in my 4th year of ME/CFS and to give a ray of hope to all, it is on the wane! But I am still suffering a lot with IBS and have found that one sachet a day of Fibregel regulates my bowel no matter what mood it is in!
B. I am also a supporter of Andrew Wakefield and I do find the site AgeofAutism.com very helpful in disseminating information. In particular Jenny Allans posts. Her latest update this morning on the Deer response to the Lewis eport is very incisive.

I also strongly believe in the gut/brain link the recent autism research is finding more about.

natasa778

Dr. Wakefield and the Problem of Pseudo-Courts

Excellent article on AoA

... But the proceedings of the General Medical Council weren't those of a normal trial. They were those of a pseudo-court. They didn't even want to hear from the parents, inspect the relevant medical records or question the lab personnel who performed the tests. Whose interests were served by denying the parents a voice? ...

http://www.ageofautism.com/2012/01/dr-wakefield-and-the-problem-of-pesudo-courts.html#more