• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

doxycycline... where's a good site to buy from?

learner2life

David Pain
Hi,
I have tried to order doxycycline online and haven't had much luck. I'm a little paranoid about giving my credit card info out anyways. Then purchasing an order without getting any information about the order being placed. Where do people who live in the states buy it from?
Thank You.
David

learner2life

David Pain
No, I had to pry, push and borrow to get another 10 days of meds at 200 mg /day. I was quite lucky to get that I feel. Unfortunately without going to a LLMD, the treatment follows the shallow fda standard is what I noticed. Actually, the doctor said oklahoma doesn't have lyme disease. Then he looked at the rash for about a minute?? So, atleast I didn't walk out empty handed. So, thank you for the sites.
David

Good luck David.

Personally, I'd be wary of taking a really extended course of antibiotics for Lyme. While it could be sensible to take more than they initially suggest, I know that some alternative practitioners suggest really long high doses, despite not having any good evidence that this is useful. Particularly if you add in the possible dangers of buying drugs over the internet, this could well be something where the cost outweighs the benefit.

I know it's hard to work out what's best though.

learner2life

David Pain
Thanks for the response.
Esther, it is hard to find what's best. I will have to discover as I go along. Certainly don't want to let a sphirochettal infection linger on without bumping up to higher doses in my opinion. Still learning on the subject.
Thank you.
David

Thanks for the response.
Esther, it is hard to find what's best. I will have to discover as I go along. Certainly don't want to let a sphirochettal infection linger on without bumping up to higher doses in my opinion. Still learning on the subject.
Thank you.
David

Good luck David. I'd advise you to stay cautious and sceptical, and not assume that alternative Lyme people know what they're talking about, even if it is tempting to trust people claiming that they know how to help you get better.

Christopher

Thanks for the response.
Thank you.
David

There are some LLMD's in the US that accept major insurance plans. Have you gotten in touch with ILADS to try to find a doctor?

Athene

ihateticks.me
Hi David,
I took antibiotics including minocycline (closely related to doxy) for 18 months. Alone it isn't enough to cure lyme, you need about 2 or 3 other antibiotics as well, plus artemisia to stop the spirochetes going into cystic forms.
You also need checks every 4 weeks to make sure your liver is OK - you can get terrible side effects so you need to be monitored properly. I got bone marrow damage from the abx that took my WBC count down to 1.5 - not exactly useful when you're fighting a monster infection!

If you absolutely cannot afford an ILADS doctor and have to go it alone, I would seriously consider using the herbal therapies instead. I was sceptical, but my ILADs doc put me on a herbal therapy after the abx messed me up and I am much better than before.
If you want I will email you my herbal protocol. My Lyme doc presented it at the 2010 ILADs conference and it is a well respected and widely used one (and much more affordable than the Cowden protocol, for example).

In case you are hell bent on taking doxy, did you know that doctors are perfectly happy to prescribe it for years to treat acne? I know one lyme patient who tricked her lyme-sceptic moron of a doctor into prescribing it for her indefinitely, by rubbing butter on her face for about a week till she was covered in zits, picking them, then going to the surgery crying about her embarrassing complexion.

Athene

ihateticks.me
I know, hilarious really, though she ended up almost crying when she was telling me about it. She recently got a really nice doctor who she says is helping her a lot. She's still terribly ill, but at least she now has one very important ally.

lizw118

Hi David,
I took antibiotics including minocycline (closely related to doxy) for 18 months. Alone it isn't enough to cure lyme, you need about 2 or 3 other antibiotics as well, plus artemisia to stop the spirochetes going into cystic forms.
You also need checks every 4 weeks to make sure your liver is OK - you can get terrible side effects so you need to be monitored properly. I got bone marrow damage from the abx that took my WBC count down to 1.5 - not exactly useful when you're fighting a monster infection!

If you absolutely cannot afford an ILADS doctor and have to go it alone, I would seriously consider using the herbal therapies instead. I was sceptical, but my ILADs doc put me on a herbal therapy after the abx messed me up and I am much better than before.
If you want I will email you my herbal protocol. My Lyme doc presented it at the 2010 ILADs conference and it is a well respected and widely used one (and much more affordable than the Cowden protocol, for example).

In case you are hell bent on taking doxy, did you know that doctors are perfectly happy to prescribe it for years to treat acne? I know one lyme patient who tricked her lyme-sceptic moron of a doctor into prescribing it for her indefinitely, by rubbing butter on her face for about a week till she was covered in zits, picking them, then going to the surgery crying about her embarrassing complexion.

Sorry to butt into this old thread, but I just found out I have re-activated lyme disease ( I believe the onset was almost twenty years ago) and I don't know where to start or what to do. Athene, can you message me your herbal therapy list and any helpful sites of info I can check out? Also, do you know how I could find a lyme literate doctor in the Illinois area?
Thanks

Athene

ihateticks.me
Sorry to butt into this old thread, but I just found out I have re-activated lyme disease ( I believe the onset was almost twenty years ago) and I don't know where to start or what to do. Athene, can you message me your herbal therapy list and any helpful sites of info I can check out? Also, do you know how I could find a lyme literate doctor in the Illinois area?
Thanks

Hi Liz,

No problem.
Please PM me your email address as the herbal therapy is in PDF and word docs.

It comes from
www.bca.de
They have a bit of info on their website but not heaps.

The people who sell the recommended herbs in convenient mixes (so you use 4 bottles instead of about 25, and don't risk making a mistake with dosages) are here
www.fitforaging.de
They have the herb mixes produced by a compounding pharmacy.
The site is all in German but there's a phone number at the bottom of the home page and they all speak very good English, and can email you bumf in English.

To find a good lyme doctor you need to email www.ILADS.org
and tell them where you live and where you can travel to.
Try to be a flexible as possible and ask for as many options as they can give you, so you can find the best doc for you. Some lyme docs are against herbs and only use antibiotics, others regard herbs as more drugs they can use in the fight.
I personally think your chances of recovery are much much higher if you have a good lyme doc taking care of you. And my personal view is that you have the best chances of recovery also if you are open to trying anything the doc advises, be it antibiotics, herbs or other therapies too. Although I was eventually overwhelmed by the side effects of the antibiotics, I am still a strong believer in them because I made huge improvements on them (which have lasted since stopping) - though I definitely would only want to take them with a doctor supervising.