• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Doxycycline - should I take it?

Sasha

Fine, thank you
A relative of mine got prescription cleansing eye-wipes for an eye problem (not sure of specifics on the problem). Perhaps, there are similar eye-wipes for this condition? Tea tree oil is really strong. I wonder if anyone has added some drops to a larger amount of water to use as an eye-corner wash?

The standard cleaning thing is to put a little baby-shampoo into boiled water and wash with that.

So I think I've got the cleaning covered - it's fixing the infection inside the glands that the doxy aims to do. And it would need to be applied along the lashes (the oil glands for the eyes are in the lashline).

oceiv

These were a medicated cleanse, which is why I suggested a diluted tea tree solution. The wipes fight infection as they cleanse.

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
I was told that this was from allergies, and to use baby shampoo (but shampoos have so many chemicals that I don't really use them except certain kinds, which aren't baby ones).

The infection thing is interesting, as I do have acne (still, very aggravating as i thought one was supposed to grow out of it). I'm a bit worried to use antibiotics also.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
These were a medicated cleanse, which is why I suggested a diluted tea tree solution. The wipes fight infection as they cleanse.

Oh! Sorry - I missed your point there. :)

Thanks - I'll look into those.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I was told that this was from allergies, and to use baby shampoo (but shampoos have so many chemicals that I don't really use them except certain kinds, which aren't baby ones).

The infection thing is interesting, as I do have acne (still, very aggravating as i thought one was supposed to grow out of it). I'm a bit worried to use antibiotics also.

I hadn't heard the allergy theory - I saw an NHS consultant ophthamologist, who told me this acne-bacteria thing.

I only put a couple of drops of baby shampoo in a cup of water and then dip a cotton bud in it to do the cleanse - there's going to be virtually no shampoo on there so I'm not worried about the chemicals (which is not to say that those with sensitivities shouldn't be).

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
it might not be the same thing, or they might have changed their minds about the cause (I was told this quite a while back)

redaxe

I've just been prescribed doxycycline (100mg, 1/day) for a non-ME-related problem.

I was wondering if it would muck up my gut so did a quick search on PR and find (surprisingly) that some people consider it beneficial for ME/CFS because it has a cytokine-suppressing effect (I think).

Views?

I've had some improvement in my OI which I think is due to some improvements I've been working on with my gut flora and I'm a bit worried about messing that up.

I don't know if this is one of the antibiotics that wreaks havoc on your gut flora.

Doxy is supposed to be active against some of the intracellular parasitical bacterias that can cause or contribute to diseases that fit into the CFS/ME spectrum like Borrellia (lyme), Chlamydia Pneumonia, Mycoplasma's etc....
It also has anti-inflammatory properties so it may have some interesting results for you.

It also is generally regarded as pretty easy on the gut and gut flora. However what I suggest you do (in fact every person on the planet should do this - especially if you have CFS/ME) is consume several servings of fermented foods each week.

This includes

-Yogurt (preferably Goat or Sheeps Milk, unsweetened and as unprocessed as possible. You can add some honey, fruit and cinnamon powder to your liking as plain yogurt is naturally sour)

-Sauerkraut & Kimchi (note that most of the Sauerkraut you find in the supermarkets has been heat sterilized so you'll need to find in an organic food store or Wholefoods. Or better yet make it yourself if you can.

-Kefir (Whole Foods sell a brand of this made from Goats milk). Alternatively you can buy the special Kefir grains to ferment your own culture). Kefir is probably the best of all the fermented foods because it contains more probiotic species than regular yogurt and also has probiotic yeasts. Probiotic yeasts won't be affected by antibiotics and their importance is gradually being recognized - some yeasts are antagonistic to typical gut pathogens and have been investigated as means to treat gastro infections. The science seems to be saying that the bigger the variety of probiotic bacteria and yeasts in our guts the better. Most yogurts and probiotic capsules usually only have very few strains which is why fermented vegetables and Kefir are so beneficial as you get a wider variety.

-Kombucha Tea.

There are others but those are easiest and best to source. But generally speaking Probiotics are proven to modulate allergies and prevent or help your body fight a whole host of nasty diseases like Clostridium, Helicobacter, Giardia etc. Since many people with CFS report symptoms that align with irritable bowel syndrome I suspect many of us would benefit from fermented foods.

Last edited:

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Thanks, @redaxe - I don't have access to any of this stuff and can't do food prep. Hard to know if any of these things can compensate for what the doxy would kill off.

All so complicated... :(

Sasha

Fine, thank you
http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/oc...5-347d-3068-c333-000007d04993&kpid=sku5507852

@Sasha Do you have this product in the UK? I used it several years ago when I had a similar eye problem (although mine sounds more mild than yours) and it cleared it up completely. The brand is great and ignore that the link is from Walgreens as you can buy it at any drugstore in the US and probably on Amazon.

That's interesting - yes, it's available via UK Amazon.

I'll talk about it with my ophthamologist when I see him again in a few weeks.

Thanks!

redaxe

Thanks, @redaxe - I don't have access to any of this stuff and can't do food prep. Hard to know if any of these things can compensate for what the doxy would kill off.

All so complicated... :(

No worries. Sorry if I'm making it sound too complicated but sometimes people feel better knowing that risks of certain medicines they take may be lessened or managed by other means - that's why I piped up.

If you don't have organic shops nearby you can still order Kefir grains online and make your own.
Kefir is actually very simple to make - by the way the Grains are not cereal grains but a sticky biofilm matrix produced by the yeasts and bacterias. That's why it is so beneficial because the probiotic organisms have produced their own biofilms so they will have a much easier time getting past the stomach to where they can colonize the gut.

You just throw some grains into a fresh lot of milk and let it sit on your bench at room temp for about 36 hours. Then you just strain the newly formed solid grains out and then refrigerate the liquid and its good to drink. You can reuse the grains you just strained to make the next batch.
You can use milk (goat or sheep is best) or if you're off dairy completely some people use coconut water - something that has a bit of sugar will ferment naturally.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Thanks, @redaxe - and sorry if I'm sounding a bit negative about this. It's just that I've got so many limitations on my diet at the moment (having to avoid fermented stuff because of tyramine-induced headaches, no dairy, etc.) that even if I could get this stuff, it could be very problematic. I think I'd be safer avoiding the doxy.

Sidereal

@Sasha, if you do decide to take the doxy, I think it's prudent to consider supplementation with something you can tolerate. Dairy, fermented stuff (tyramine + histamine), lactic acid producing probiotics etc. all make me worse. As you might have seen, some of us on the RS thread have been taking Japanese C. butyricum lately and it's quite well tolerated. There was a study where this probiotic was supplemented during triple therapy for H. pylori and it was able to prevent the negative effects of antibiotics on the microbiome.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
@Sasha, if you do decide to take the doxy, I think it's prudent to consider supplementation with something you can tolerate. Dairy, fermented stuff (tyramine + histamine), lactic acid producing probiotics etc. all make me worse. As you might have seen, some of us on the RS thread have been taking Japanese C. butyricum lately and it's quite well tolerated. There was a study where this probiotic was supplemented during triple therapy for H. pylori and it was able to prevent the negative effects of antibiotics on the microbiome.

Interesting!

I've seen some stuff online saying that in the US a compounding pharmacist can make a doxy topical ointment - they've tried it out on mice (poor mice!) for dry eyes. I don't know if docs realise that's an option - but I'm not sure whether it might look risky to them.