• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Doxepin Elixir

TheMoonIsBlue

Hello-

I was wondering if anyone has any information about Doxepin Elixir. I have read that it comes in an Elixir (liquid form) so people can use tiny, tiny amounts- 1mg or less if wanted.

My question is, what drug company makes Doxepin Elixir? I can't find info online about Doxepin in a liquid form, or who makes it or where to get it that is. Is there a generic manufacturer in particular that makes the Elixir?

If not, is there a generic manufacturer in particular tha makes Doxepin in tablets (not capsules) that anyone has been able to cut into 4 pieces and and thus take
2.5mg? I know Silenor is a new low dose "branded" version of Doxepin but it comes with a nice Brand name price tag!

Thanks

Otis

Señor Mumbler
I took this years ago in elixer form. I got an unlabeled generic so I don't know who made it. I just checked with my mail order pharmacy and they provide it so I'd guess it's available from retail pharmacies. I'd suggest making a few phone calls.

It was tough to get a drop of 1ml out of the syringe provided to me but perhaps you can dilute 1-2mg in water you can get below 1mg if need be.

Unfortunately I had to go 10mg (I started at 5) level which gave me too much of a hangover and not the desired sleep. I think it's pretty common for any sedating meds to stop working for us but everybody's different. I'm constantly morphing my sleep combo.

Sweet dreams.

TheMoonIsBlue

Thanks Otis. Now I only wonder, could there be any weird preservatives or flavorings in the elixir I could have a reaction to.... it seems Doxepin comes in capsule form usually. I wonder if I can just open up a 10 mg capsule an pour maybe 1/4 into a little juice or whatnot, if I don't use the elixir.

At low doses I am reading, it is sedating mostly because of its antihistamine effects...so is it going to be much different than taking doxylamine succinate (Unisom sleep tabs) or Benadryl?

Otis

Señor Mumbler
The elixer tastes fairly bad, bitter as I recall, but the amount is small enough that I chaser of something like OJ takes care of it. If they put in a flavoring in, it doesn't work. :) I'm not chemically sensitive so I can't speak to reactions to preservatives. I've been known to pour out about half of the capsule to get to 5mg but haven't tried and dilutions with liquids. For a reasonably precise dose (+/- 1mg) I don't know how to divide up the powder. It might be best to dilute the whole 10mg.

I've had at least one antihistamine-based sleeping pill (don't recall which one, that was 10+ years ago) wire me big-time and Benadryl has no effect one way or another.

Dose-wise, I think ME patients need low doses of all trycyclics.