• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Download for Rare SNP Analysis

roxie60

Valentijn Everything working fine. At first I thought a problem with the out put but then realized that the reason I only have 3 pages of genes and my aunt has 6 is she has more 1%ers. Everything worked as described once Java installed. Easy Peasy. Good Job. Now I need to go look at what they are. I had 3 homozyg and my aunt had 6. Thanks to you and your genius programmer associate ;)

Do we think the hetero's are of importance?
It really depends on the circumstances ... in some cases, problems can be dominant instead of recessive, in which case one copy is enough. And two different missense mutations on different strands (one from the father and one from the mother) of the same gene can certainly cause big problems, just as much as a homozygous mutation sometimes.

If a problem is dominant and hetero, it should be apparent in the parent with the same allele, going back for however many generations. So those tend not to cause the serious "stealth" problems like you'd expect for a genetic involvement in something like ME/CFS.

But it's also possible to have, for example, one rare "recessive" heterozygous mutation on one SNP which is interacting with a less rare mutation of another SNP on the gene. So basically, we can't really be certain, which is why it's nice to look at all of the rare results, for purposes of comparison with other ME/CFS to see if there's any shared rarities.

We've added another database, which generates a list of all SNPs you have which are at 10% or less prevalence rates. This file's 10 times bigger than the 1% file, at 3.5 MB. It generated about 18,000 results for me, so it's far less useful than the 1% file if you want to look rare genes up and learn more about them, etc.

But what it is good for is generating a big list of rare homozygous results. Basically the 1% file is only going to show homozygous results present in 0.01% of the population or less. But by looking at genes in the 10% or less range, you can generate a big list of homozygous results (which are much more likely to cause big problems than heterozygous results) which are prevalent as homozygous results in approximately 1% of the population or less.

So you can generate the results, save as text (PDF would be HUGE), open it in Excel, sort according to the ETC column (which flags homozygous results), and delete everything after the homozygous results stop. This is still a big list - for me it produced 950 homozygous results. But if organizing by %, you can still use it to look up the rarest results, such as I've done for my 75 rarest homozygous results with prevalence ranging from 0.01% to 0.16%.

Another application could be to contribute our results to a shared list to determine shared rare homozygous variations among ME/CFS patients.

Anyhow, the 10% file is at http://sourceforge.net/projects/analyzemygenes/files/Databases/ . If you already have the program, you just need to click on ten_percent.zip to get the new file. If you don't have the analysis program yet, you should first download that separately at http://sourceforge.net/projects/analyzemygenes/ by clicking the green button.

To use the 10% file, you'll have to select it manually when running the genes program. You can do that by clicking on the top button (which automatically selects the 1% file), and selecting the ten_percent file instead.

Critterina

Okay, the progress bar issues has been fixed - closing it now ends the analysis with a message in nice red print on the results chart. It can then be started again immediately.

To get the new version, download at https://sourceforge.net/projects/analyzemygenes/

Critterina, roxie60, future_man - are things working now? If not, where's things going wrong, and is there any red text showing up?
Hi Val,
I downloaded the new file, unzipped, and ran it. When I hit analyze, the screen popped up, I could see the Save As buttons, they were not grayed out anymore, but the status bar never showed up. I waited 2 minutes then tried to save as PDF. I gave it a name and location, but it did not create a file.

I saw that you had new 1% and 10% files, so I downloaded them. I put them in different folders. Then I tried swapping out the 1% file (one_percent.h2.db) and rerunning the program. Same thing happened.

Hi Val,
I downloaded the new file, unzipped, and ran it. When I hit analyze, the screen popped up, I could see the Save As buttons, they were not grayed out anymore, but the status bar never showed up. I waited 2 minutes then tried to save as PDF. I gave it a name and location, but it did not create a file.

I saw that you had new 1% and 10% files, so I downloaded them. I put them in different folders. Then I tried swapping out the 1% file (one_percent.h2.db) and rerunning the program. Same thing happened.
Did the one_percent file get unzipped? I can recreate the same situation: it lets me "analyze" the zipped file but doesn't do anything and produces no results.

bel canto

Hello, Val - the 10% download worked apparently perfectly, and I was able to save the results in different formats. The only thing I noted is that you were describing something that would show up in red, and my results are black and white only. Am I missing something?

Hello, Val - the 10% download worked apparently perfectly, and I was able to save the results in different formats. The only thing I noted is that you were describing something that would show up in red, and my results are black and white only. Am I missing something?
It will only show up in red if stopping the program (by closing the progress bar) before it's done, to let people know they didn't generate full results.

10 percent done, 979 homozyg, none less than 1%
If you want to send me a list of just the basic RS (and "i") numbers from the first column, I can run them through excel to compare to mine. A PM in my Phoenix Rising mail might be the best way we can avoid spamming everyone with the full lists :p

roxie60

researching genes/SNPs is always a lot of work but this 10 percent file that produces a list of at risk/rare SNPs helps to provide focus. Interesting some of my homozyg research already related to folic acid, FIGLU, Glutamine.

ukxmrv

Thanks Val!,
all looking good for me. I'm just comparing the new one % results file generated this way with the earlier one I generated using that earlier online one.

Sparrowhawk

Another application could be to contribute our results to a shared list to determine shared rare homozygous variations among ME/CFS patients.

Bloody great idea, across the board. I wonder what it would take to have a database of gene info for folks on the forum, and then sift for specific variations. All crowdsourced and informal, mind you, but what if we found something in common no one has seen before? Am I just ignorant of the amount of work this might take?

Sea

I can't get it to work for me. I'm on a Mac running 10.6.8 and have Java 6. Any ideas why that won't work?

bel canto

Sea - I'm on 10.6.8 and I have it working
I'm not an expert, but if you want to pm me about what's happening when you try it, I'll try to help.
I think that my Java is 13.9.7. Are you current on your software upgrades?

Sea

Sea - I'm on 10.6.8 and I have it working
I'm not an expert, but if you want to pm me about what's happening when you try it, I'll try to help.
I think that my Java is 13.9.7. Are you current on your software upgrades?

Thanks for your input, it's good to know it's possible on the Mac 10.6.8.

Yes I'm current on software upgrades. I thought Java 7 onwards was only for Mac 10.7 and later. I'll look further into the different versions of Java.

I can download the gene program and see the three files but it won't open.