• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dormant viral genes may awaken to cause ALS

Kati

Patient in training
Scientists at the National Institutes of Health discovered that reactivation of ancient viral genes embedded in the human genome may cause the destruction of neurons in some forms of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). The results, published in Science Translational Medicine, suggest a link between human endogenous retroviral genes (HERVs) and ALS. The findings also raise the question of whether antiretroviral drugs, similar to those used for suppressing HIV, may help some ALS patients.

For generations, humans have been passing on genetic remnants of HERV infections that may have happened millions of years ago. Although nearly eight percent of the normal human genome is made up of these genes, very little is known about their role in health and disease.

“People call the genes for these viruses junk DNA. Our results suggest they may become activated during ALS,” said Avindra Nath, M.D., clinical director at the NIH’s National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) and a senior author of the study. “Ultimately we hope the results will lead to effective treatments for a heartbreaking disorder.”

Read more here: http://www.nih.gov/news/health/sep2015/ninds-30.htm

Never Give Up

Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.
Wow! That is great for people with ALS, it is a truly horrible disease. I hope the antiretrovirals work.

Can't wait to see what Ron Davis finds in his severely ill patient study. Could be a HERV reactivated by a new virus.

Notice this genes and viruses work is being done by NINDS. Imagine the cross over benefits if ME/CFS moves to NINDS.

Bob

Very interesting. This seems like quite a comprehensive research study. I wonder if the findings will have any relevance and knock-on effects for other illnesses. Nice to see that they are carrying out a small clinical trial for treatment using antiretrovirals.

“People call the genes for these viruses junk DNA. Our results suggest they may become activated during ALS,” said Avindra Nath, M.D., clinical director at the NIH’s National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) and a senior author of the study. “Ultimately we hope the results will lead to effective treatments for a heartbreaking disorder.”
The bolded text is interesting. I hope that means they will follow up the findings until they find an effective treatment.

Last edited:

anciendaze

The HERV central to this work is HERV-K, and the offending protein is part of the env gene. (Anyone remember me talking about env genes in HERVs?) It is still possible HERV-K transcription is being stimulated by an unidentified retrovirus. This does take place with HIV infection and HERV-K111, even though there are great differences in the sequences. It also appears to take place in the association between BLV infection and breast cancer, which has long been known to produce sequences resembling beta retroviruses, even though BLV is a delta retrovirus.