• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dog breeds that can be housebound only?

I used to meet a pair of pug dogs with their man in the park when I was still working and walking my own dog. He would sit or stand near the car park of a very nice quiet dog park and we would chat while the dogs played.

In general, i can't imagine its good for any dog to live indoors all their life.

I struggled to give enough exercise to my blue heeler when I was fit, younger and healthy.
[I'm incredibly lucky that he is now quiet and empathetic (he tells me when I need to stop and rest by pestering me) but I can't imagine how to predict that. And he has access to outside for loo breaks and sitting in the sun and watching the world. He's been with me every waking hour of his life save one week in feb this year and 7 weeks as a puppy.]

However, of all the many hundreds of dogs I met in the park, a pug is the closest to what you describe. They're usually affectionate, soft short haired and can't overdo the exercise themselves.

I imagine that if you could take them to the dog park each day
(or get someone else to do it)
or have someone with dogs and/or energy visit while you sat on the bench,
then it might be fine.

Unfortunately pugs are also prone to genetic defects and complications so, as I haven't had one myself, I can't really advise.

Last edited:

Dechi

While I don't disagree that most dogs would greatly benefit from going outside, some dogs are not naturally interested in the outside. A 3 pound chihuahua does not care to go outside and will get plenty of exercise inside the house. And be happy just being with his human. Some breeds of dogs were created purely for companionship. They have no other purpose in life than being lap dogs.

Those are the dogs that can be happy inside. And yes, whenever possible, walk them or have someone walk them, take them in care rides, ect.

I wouldn't have a dog on a pee pad because of allergies. But if I had a 3 pound Chihuahua, it wouldn't be fair to have it go outside in the rain, or in the snow, or when it's cold. So basically, yes, I believe there is a dog out there for you. And I am convinced some dogs, if you choose them well, can be happy being inside dogs.

Mary

Moderator Resource
My 91-year-old neighbor has 2 chihuahuas (male) and they are great companions for her. She's had them for 4 or 5 years. She can't walk them, but they do have access through a doggie door to her small yard (mobile home) and the dogs do great. They get exercise chasing each other, and go in and outside at will. If they were confined to the house all the time, I don't think it would be good for them. One other very good thing is they only bark when there's a reason to - e.g., they see another dog or a stranger, etc. But they never just bark for the heck of it.

I forgot to ask: have you had your own dogs before?
First time dog ownership is very different from subsequent dogs.

As the person, I needed to learn, deep down in my bones, what is good behaviour and what is rudeness from a dog.

Yes, the breed makes a difference to how sensitive they are (not always a good thing if you are in pain but good if you are clear on what you expect), how much energy they need to use up every day, etc.

But training is huge.

NB I'm so grateful my husband comes from a farming family (working dogs). Because of those clear expectations.

Valentijn

Here's a recent photo article about laziest dog breeds for couch potatoes. :dog:

https://www.littlefries.com/dogs/sl...hat-will-keep-your-couch-potato-life-company/
My aunt has a Havanese, and since she broke her ankle the day after getting her, I ended up living with them for about a year starting the same day :p They are very affectionate, but love to run and play outside. She could do a lot of running indoors (where there was decent carpet), but definitely loved going outside too. Walks are heaven for dogs.

But I can't imagine keeping one inside nearly all of the time, and I wouldn't consider getting a dog if it couldn't go out at least once per day. It would be like keeping a child indoors literally all the time, and it just wouldn't be good for the dog. And I'd worry about the more sensitive/affectionate dogs being anxious or depressed if their owner is sick all the time, since they do pick up on mood.

Cats are a much better option. They're not emotionally dependent like dogs are, and don't belong outside in most climates anyhow. But they'll still be affectionate toward the food-bringer and provide companionship. They're generally a lot cleaner as well, and require less maintenance. House-training comes naturally to them, because they engage in similar behavior in the wild.

Invisible Woman

The other thing is that even if you select a certain breed for it's characteristics, dogs are still individuals. My two were the same breed, brought up in the same way, trained using positive reinforcement and clickers and their personalities are like chalk and cheese. So even if you choose a breed that doesn't like too much exercise, your dog could still be one of those dogs who likes a lot of activity relative to their breed. When training you still have to take into account the individual dog's personality.

Both mine were sensitive, but whereas my first (male) didn't mind me being sick- he just cuddled up to me and viewed it as quality time; my girl worries and needs extra reassurance. She can become a bit protective of me too - without my husband around to help and give her other things to think about and also spend time with her that could easily have escalated into a problem.

Unhappy dogs can very quickly become problem dogs. This can require a lot of time and effort to put right and this is time and energy a lot of us might simply not have. Where problems do arise it is often useful to get an outsider or trainer in (because as owners we can be too close to see see how our own behaviour patterns feed the problem). This is expensive and would be pretty exhausting.

Daffodil

@Horizon i have almost the exact same problem. would love a dog but no energy to walk him/her. Also, i live in a small condo and there is no direct access to a yard.

i am very allergic to cats. my cat allergies started only after the CFS but they are very severe!

in the past, i have had fish, which was fun for a while. as a child, i had a bird...but its not the same as a dog you can cuddle, of course.

if i had the money, i would get a smaller dog and hire someone to walk the dog twice a day or something....but that is definitely not practical right now. In fact, i am not even sure I could afford all the vet bills, food, etc etc. I am lucky if I can take care of myself!

if you have the money, you can hire someone to walk the dog...there are many people who do that sort of thing where i live.

Too bad we dont all live near eachother...between all of us, we could maybe care for a couple of dogs ha

xo

Mij

@Revel . . . I had a house bunny (Clover) when I was young and it was impossible to teach him anything. The little guy pooped everywhere and disappeared one day, never to be seen again.

I suspected my mother who loved cooking wild game and exotic type stuff may have baked him in a pie! She denied it for many years but I never ate rabbit meat again. We also lost our pet ferret (Finnigan) in the same manner, he just 'disappeared'. Thankfully they don't make dishes with ferrets :vomit:

Dainty

I used to have a house bunny. The key things are:
  • Get one that has been extensively handled in a loving manner from a very young age. Otherwise it won't be cuddly at all.
  • Expect some bunny poo.
House training bunnies is quite different from cats. You generally need to have a place for them to "go" in one corner of every room of the house. This is mainly for urine. Poo is actually how they mark their territory, so if they're out of the cage often enough to consider the house as part of their domain, they will leave rabbit berries everywhere. They're pretty dry and some people aren't bothered by this.

After owning a bunny myself, I feel strongly that keeping them in a typical rabbit cage all the time is as cruel as keeping a chicken or a dog in a crate all the time. They absolutely love to frolic and run about. That being said, I do think they'd be happy never going outside, if they had a house or even just a large room with interesting things to run around in and a human to interact with a lot. :)

Invisible Woman

Also remember to warn your guests if you have a bunny.

My sister in law had a Belgian Hare - gorgeous chap. I stayed at my brother's for a bit as a student. At the time I had a part time / night shift job.

I came home off a night shift and was relaxing in their sitting room, coffee in one hand & fag in t'other before dragging myself to bed. I was so tired I started seeing the carpet moving. :cautious:

It was only later when I got up I realized it was the hare. He matched the carpet perfectly! :lol:

Revel

I used to have a house bunny. The key things are:
  • Get one that has been extensively handled in a loving manner from a very young age. Otherwise it won't be cuddly at all.
  • Expect some bunny poo.
House training bunnies is quite different from cats. You generally need to have a place for them to "go" in one corner of every room of the house. This is mainly for urine. Poo is actually how they mark their territory, so if they're out of the cage often enough to consider the house as part of their domain, they will leave rabbit berries everywhere.

@Dainty, all my bunnies were adults from the local animal shelter and some were pretty feisty and unapproachable to begin with, but became friendly over time. They also became completely housetrained and would wee and poo in their litter tray. I had a litter tray upstairs and downstairs, but the rabbits preferred to run all the way back downstairs (from playing under the beds) in order to go to the toilet in the downstairs tray, never using the upstairs one. They had a house cage but were only confined to it if there was nobody home (partly to keep them out of trouble, but also because we had a cat and 3 dogs and, well, you can't be too careful . . .).

Dainty

@Dainty, all my bunnies were adults from the local animal shelter and some were pretty feisty and unapproachable to begin with, but became friendly over time. They also became completely housetrained and would wee and poo in their litter tray. I had a litter tray upstairs and downstairs, but the rabbits preferred to run all the way back downstairs (from playing under the beds) in order to go to the toilet in the downstairs tray, never using the upstairs one.

Cool! I stand corrected! :)

Maybe we need a separate thread for some of this.
Just now I've written bits about my crazy free-range dwarf rabbit and how I met my own dog but then decided to cut them out as they are OT. I'm missing ordinary conversation and wanting to tell stories.

I reread the question this morning and my answer now is:

Lots of us prefer bigger dogs to smaller ones but often that's more about the personalities we've met.
Unfortunately (or fortunately) the big dog temperament tends to come from having an active, responsible lifestyle. Being treated like a big dog.
I know a guy who got a chihuahua a year or so after his border collie died of old age. He raised that chihuahua like a city border collie: sit before you cross the road, never get picked up when scared, lots of long walks etc.
Really lovely dog.

But perhaps not very practical for any of us who is more than mild (unless you have a good motorised wheelchair and easy ways to get out?).
(I know an active, cat hating, farm blue heeler who, after he got arthritis, retired to a wheelchair-bound house and 3 cats and loved it - he took care of the man he lived with and that was what matters. But normally a blue heeler is too much for anything less than an outdoorsman. I think the secret is that the man was naturally very calm and the dog getting old)

That said, the best thing to do is go and talk to a responsible breeder. They often know which puppies have which temperament.
And sometimes they have old, retired, dogs and bitches they're happy to rehome with you. Already well trained.
The advantage you can offer is that you are there 24/7.

Yes, it's a mission to visit a breeder but a dog is the start of a lot of such missions
and it goes easier if you start as best you can.
Buying a dog remotely goes badly when you're not well, I've seen it even with experienced dog owners and their favourite breed, after the people got sick.

I still think a pug is the best I've seen for being housebound, they thrive on you being there all day. But there may be others.

I also think that sharing a dog is best. Being the place where someone drops off their dog when they're at work sounds good. Or finding someone else who wants to take turns. Helps with times when you need to go to hospital etc too.

[I'd love to be able to share what I have with my dog with you. It can be wonderful.
But it also took a lot out of me, I'd never be able to do it now, and it's often like living with a two-year old: I always know where he is and what he's doing. The closer you are, the more you have to sacrifice.
If you're not allergic, a cat is really good for when you have bad days. They're enablers. Dogs are boot camp.]

Rabbits are good too.

Beware of:
Unneutered males (jump, spin and spray)
Electrical cable insulation on the floor (lovely to nibble)
Dwarf rabbits (can be a bit nuts - the big breeds tend to be calmer and nicer to pet anyway)

I second the experience that, other than the above, they're easily housetrained.

Daffodil

@Revel . . . I had a house bunny (Clover) when I was young and it was impossible to teach him anything. The little guy pooped everywhere and disappeared one day, never to be seen again.

I suspected my mother who loved cooking wild game and exotic type stuff may have baked him in a pie! She denied it for many years but I never ate rabbit meat again. We also lost our pet ferret (Finnigan) in the same manner, he just 'disappeared'. Thankfully they don't make dishes with ferrets :vomit:
hahahaah