• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does TMG or Betaine HCL deplete folate?

dannybex

I've been taking betaine HCL for years, sometimes less, but lately need quite a bit more, and since it contains betaine anhydrous (TMG), I'm wondering if I've been depleting any sort of folate that I'm eating or taking?

(I"ve been taking folinic -- seems to work the best for me -- but maybe not taking enough?)

Thanks in advance,

Dan

Mary

Moderator Resource
@dannybex - Hi Dan - I've been taking betaine HCL for years with no problem. I do take 1600 mcg. of methylfolate a day and it doesn't seem to get depleted by the HCL.

I don't think that betaine hydrochloride is the same as betaine anhydrous (TMG). Maybe they're related? Hopefully someone with a chemistry background will step in here!

Mary

dannybex

@dannybex - Hi Dan - I've been taking betaine HCL for years with no problem. I do take 1600 mcg. of methylfolate a day and it doesn't seem to get depleted by the HCL.

I don't think that betaine hydrochloride is the same as betaine anhydrous (TMG). Maybe they're related? Hopefully someone with a chemistry background will step in here!

Mary

Hi Mary,

Shoot, I meant to reply to this a month ago(!). I thought they were two different compounds, and they are, but just slightly. Betaine HCL just has a chloride added to it, but it is like TMG w/chloride to help increase stomach acid.

That's why I was asking, since I'm taking pretty high doses, and have for years and years. Still wondering if it drains folate or not...