• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does the IOM Task Order Comply with Requirements of NIH/NAS Umbrella Contract?

Ember

Posted on January 15, 2014
By Jeannette Burmeister
Because of HHS’s secrecy surrounding this “study” and it’s refusal to provide the pertinent documents in a timely manner, in violation of federal law, we can only speculate, but I question whether the IOM task order to develop new diagnostic criteria for “ME/CFS” follows the umbrella contract’s requirements and if it doesn’t, whether the task order is legally valid and, thus, whether the “study” was validly commissioned....
Thoughts About M.E...

Ember

Of possible interest from “National Academies Contract Review - Fiscal Year 2008:”
If a proposal is approved by the NIH Director’s representative, the task order paperwork is then processed by the NIH contract officer, who must work with the IC or OD budget office to secure the funding necessary for the task, which can be done either incrementally or as a lump-sum. The contract officer is the legal representative for every task order that is a part of the contract. He or she has the power to grant or deny changes to the task order, including time extensions. Once a task order is approved, the contract officer is officially responsible for it.