• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does methyl-absorbing niacin neutralise methyl supplements?

Learner1

Today I start a trial with Nicotinamide Riboside!

Effective treatment of mitochondrial myopathy by nicotinamide riboside, a vitamin B3

Abstract
"Nutrient availability is the major regulator of life and reproduction, and a complex cellular signaling network has evolved to adapt organisms to fasting. These sensor pathways monitor cellular energy metabolism, especially mitochondrial ATP production and NAD+/NADH ratio, as major signals for nutritional state. We hypothesized that these signals would be modified by mitochondrial respiratory chain disease, because of inefficient NADH utilization and ATP production. Oral administration of nicotinamide riboside (NR), a vitamin B3 and NAD+ precursor, was previously shown to boost NAD+ levels in mice and to induce mitochondrial biogenesis. Here, we treated mitochondrial myopathy mice with NR. This vitamin effectively delayed early‐ and late‐stage disease progression, by robustly inducing mitochondrial biogenesis in skeletal muscle and brown adipose tissue, preventing mitochondrial ultrastructure abnormalities and mtDNA deletion formation. NR further stimulated mitochondrial unfolded protein response, suggesting its protective role in mitochondrial disease. These results indicate that NR and strategies boosting NAD+ levels are a promising treatment strategy for mitochondrial myopathy."

@BeautifulDay @Learner1

Full text available, http://embomolmed.embopress.org/content/6/6/721
Another paper about NAD+ supplementation to treat MitoD:

NAD+-Dependent Activation of Sirt1 Corrects the Phenotype in a Mouse Model of Mitochondrial Disease

NAD+ is a substrate activator of Sirtuin 1, a key player of mitochondrial biogenesis

Parp1 inhibitors and nicotinamide riboside increase the NAD+ content in tissues

These compounds improve the phenotype of a mitochondrial disease mouse model

These are potential therapies for human mitochondrial disorders

Summary
Mitochondrial disorders are highly heterogeneous conditions characterized by defects of the mitochondrial respiratory chain. Pharmacological activation of mitochondrial biogenesis has been proposed as an effective means to correct the biochemical defects and ameliorate the clinical phenotype in these severely disabling, often fatal, disorders. Pathways related to mitochondrial biogenesis are targets of Sirtuin1, a NAD+-dependent protein deacetylase. As NAD+ boosts the activity of Sirtuin1 and other sirtuins, intracellular levels of NAD+ play a key role in the homeostatic control of mitochondrial function by the metabolic status of the cell. We show here that supplementation with nicotinamide riboside, a natural NAD+ precursor, or reduction of NAD+ consumption by inhibiting the poly(ADP-ribose) polymerases, leads to marked improvement of the respiratory chain defect and exercise intolerance of the Sco2 knockout/knockin mouse, a mitochondrial disease model characterized by impaired cytochrome c oxidase biogenesis. This strategy is potentially translatable into therapy of mitochondrial disorders in humans.

full text available
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1550413114001648
All good stuff. There seem to be multiple pathways for niacin to get all the way to ATP.

Nicotinamide riboside does nothing for me, though the science is good and it helps others. I've tried different doses up to 1g a day, with no result.

However, NADH perks me up within 20 minutes.

I think we all have to find what works for us individually.

pattismith

Today I start a trial with Nicotinamide Riboside!

An update at day 5:

Although I immediatly felt that NR was doing something strong to my brain, I prefer to trust some more objective facts to identify efficiency of a complement.
I have a bunch of symptoms, and one of them is a metallic taste when I wake up in the morning.
This metallic taste disappeared the first morning after I started NR and didn't came back at the moment.

So I keep this one for now, let's hope it will be ok in the long run!