• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does Low Dose Naltrexone (LDN) reduce inflammation?

ebethc

Hi - does anyone know if LDN reduces inflammation? It does a good job on pain, not sure beyond that, though.

thanks

ahmo

* Summary of Stanford Study on Low Dose Naltrexone (LDN) ***

Last updated September 7, 2014 Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3962576/

Conclusions

The totality of the basic and clinical research to date suggests that LDN is a promising treatment approach for chronic pain conditions thought to involve inflammatory processes. The clinical data supporting its use are very preliminary, and more research is needed before the treatment approach can be widely recommended. Critical parameters such as dosing still need to be refined. LDN may emerge as the first of many glial cell modulators that could be used to treat chronic conditions, with more specifically targeted medications developed in the future. As conventional anti-inflammatories have poor blood brain-barrier permeability, we expect centrally active immune modulators to be an area of interest in the future.

You can check these sites, there might be further info:
http://www.lowdosenaltrexone.org/index.htm

https://sites.google.com/site/dudleyslowdosenaltrexonesites/

Hip

LDN may reduce microglial activation, which is a central part of brain inflammation.

ebethc

@Sushi @ahmo @Hip

I took TONS of vegetarian DHA yesterday and it made a dramatic (positive) effect on inflammation! Sinuses, throat, lungs all feel so much better, plus aches & pains. For some reason, the vegetarian (algae-sourced) DHA is much better for me than the fish-sourced DHA... I've been really sick all month after going on a gene protocol that included Arginine in early september... the arginine made my EBV flair..

I took some leftover LDN 2 days ago and it really made my symptoms flare... It worked okay for me in the past, and I thought I'd try it again now that I've given up dairy & gluten. My body really didn't go for it this time around...

fibrodude84

LDN has shown in small trials to potentially reduce inflammation in inflammatory bowel disease (crohns and colitis)

nomad

Anyone interested in a London Support group?
I would be very keen to try this if its possible to get a private prescription for it. Anyone ?

I have CFS, along with painful cramped muscles, and severe anxiety which leads me to suspect inflammation, particularly brain inflammation.

CantThink

I took some leftover LDN 2 days ago and it really made my symptoms flare... It worked okay for me in the past, and I thought I'd try it again now that I've given up dairy & gluten. My body really didn't go for it this time around...

Could it have been a herxheimer reaction? Every time I increased (or initially took) LDN I'd get a 5-7 day herxheimer before I saw improvement. It was quite scary the first time. I got used to it and although I found it unpleasant, I found it okay to deal with if I knew I'd see improvement afterwards.

CantThink

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I now get the 50 mg generic tablets from my local pharmacy (prescription required). It is very cheap and very easy to dilute--50 mgs in 50 mls: 1 ml = mg.

Sushi

Ema

I guess I need to shop around...both of those sources are cheaper than my local compounding pharmacy with a script.

Where do you get yours, @Sushi?

ETA: Sorry, Sushi, missed your post above.