• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does LDN make you tired? If so, did adjusting the dosage help?

I recently started LDN too. I'm using 1.5mg before bed. Although sleep is not terrible I feel more tired during the day than when I get really bad sleep. It's like a sluggishness that doesn't go away no matter how long I nap.

I'm also having really bad gastrointestinal problems

Last edited:

LaurelW

LDN seems to have an adjustment period. After I'd been on it a couple weeks, I had a lot more energy and am less inclined to get PEM. I started out at 4.5 mg, but it caused me insomnia, so I now take it in the morning and went down to 2.25 mg. I just upped to 3.0 mg after a couple months and didn't have any problems. I'm going to keep raising the dose every so often until I get to 4.5. I didn't get any GI problems.

SunMoonsStars

I just posted about this feeling from starting zantac that affects t suppressor cells and makes the th1 activated more.

I read others get this sleepy feeling and I wondered how long this lasts or is it related to the shift or other affects of drug ?

Since you feel this too but on LDN that is supposed to do the same thing I wonder how it relates to th1 stimulation.

Any ideas on this theory ?

Anyone else using immune modulation toward th1 get this feeling and does it last ?

SunMoonsStars

Interesting. I started lowing my dosage what I am taking (zantac) for immune modulation... and and found it quickly it helped reduce this side affect too. So dosage could be just the trick to find the balance.

2Cor.12:9

I recently started LDN too. I'm using 1.5mg before bed. Although sleep is not terrible I feel more tired during the day than when I get really bad sleep. It's like a sluggishness that doesn't go away no matter how long I nap.

I'm also having really bad gastrointestinal problems

Hi Drew - Just checking in to see how it's been going with the LDN. Did your tiredness get better? Were you able to continue increasing your dose?

I'm starting week 6 and LDN has improved pain, mood, and cognition, but I'm soooo fatigued and SLEEPY. I've never been one to nap in the day but I'm in such a stupor. I'm on 2.5 and bump to 3 tonight. Hoping this will pass.

I had to stop for other reasons.

The sleepiness I think is due to the fact that LDN increases dopamine. We know that LDN increases testosterone and I suspect this is done via dopamine. The naps don;t help do they?

2Cor.12:9

The sleepiness I think is due to the fact that LDN increases dopamine. We know that LDN increases testosterone and I suspect this is done via dopamine. The naps don;t help do they?
Oh, thanks for responding. Hope you're feeling better.

ebethc

thanks for the explanation... LDN makes me tired, too, and I didn't understand why... Hopefully it will subside, or change w a lower dose

ebethc

interesting re LDN increasing dopamine... I hadn't heard that... wouldn't increased dopamine also increase mental acuity and learning? I have re-started LDN this week and I feel like I have cement in my head! I WISH I had the freedom from brain fog... it drives me crazy

daisybell

@Webdog just tagging you because I'm also on a high dose - even more than you in fact! I take 9mg in the morning and another 4.5 at night.... I started out weaning myself up to 4.5 and stayed on that for a while, then the effect wore off and so I increased. I increased again earlier this year.
Does your doctor have any advice on how high you can go? I think I'm on the most of anyone in this country....

JES

@Webdog just tagging you because I'm also on a high dose - even more than you in fact! I take 9mg in the morning and another 4.5 at night.... I started out weaning myself up to 4.5 and stayed on that for a while, then the effect wore off and so I increased. I increased again earlier this year.
Does your doctor have any advice on how high you can go? I think I'm on the most of anyone in this country....

13 mg is quite close to the standard naltrexone dosage territory rather than "LDN". With 13 mg you are probably blocking the opioid receptors for most of the day, which is what naltrexone is used for in treating drug/alcohol addiction. At this dosage you wouldn't achieve much of a rebound of endorphins, so in theory this should make you feel worse (most people on standard naltrexone dosage report they feel horrible). Then again naltrexone also works as a microglial inhibitor which modulates the immune system and can reduce pain, maybe this effect gets more prominent at higher dosages. Who knows.

ebethc

Then again naltrexone also works as a microglial inhibitor which modulates the immune system and can reduce pain, maybe this effect gets more prominent at higher dosages. Who knows.

what is a microglial inhibitor?

JES

what is a microglial inhibitor?

Microglia are special kind of macrophages that are part of the immune defense of the brain and CNS. In CFS/ME it's commonly believed that microglia are in a chronic overactive state, for example many CFS/ME "brain symptoms" such as brain fog could be due to dysfunctioning microglia. LDN works by inhibiting TLR4 receptors of microglia and thus may reduce the excessive microglial activation. You can read more about the theory here.