• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does IVIG decrease mast cell reactions?

ebethc

particulate matter pollution is a big trigger for me, and winter time in California (and other places) brings high PM.

Does IVIG help lower inflammation, and does it help lower inflammation brought on by mast cell reactions?

Learner1

It may have helped those mice, but it flared my MCAS, so I have to take steroids, antihistamines, and a LOT of curcumin, boswellia, and B5 to tolerate it for about 5-7 days around IVIG treatment.

Perhaps, over the long haul, it may help, though. Gingergrrl certainly seems to have had her MCAS improve with it.

Ema

Gingergrrl certainly seems to have had her MCAS improve with it.
Me too.

I also think a lot depends on the formula, the amount, and the infusion speed and the individual person. I think it's normal that the first infusions would be more difficult, though, it's certainly possible to develop sensitivities later too. It is a foreign blood product, after all.

Anecdotally, though, there is a lot of evidence for benefit in those that have been lucky enough to try it.

ebethc

If you suppress excess histamine (via quercetin or rutin, etc) then what effect (if any) does this have on stomach acid?

Gingergrrl

Gingergrrl certainly seems to have had her MCAS improve with it.

IVIG (Gamunex) put my MCAS into remission 1.5 years ago and it has never returned. It pre-dates me doing Rituximab by approx one year and the remission was from the IVIG. I have had additional (non MCAS) improvements after Rituximab, but the remission of MCAS was from the IVIG, as my MCAS doctor predicted but I did not believe until it occurred.

I have had a few days of not taking any MCAS meds with zero reactions (although on 99% of the days, I take one set of MCAS meds). The true test will be what happens when I stop IVIG or if I were to completely stop the MCAS meds. But the MCAS meds alone were a band-aid vs. the IVIG has some how re-set my immune system away from the allergic reactions and more in the middle. I cannot explain how or why it occurred and wish that I could.