• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does chickenpox reactivate like EBV etc.?

outdamnspot

When my last doctor did a battery of blood tests for Cpn, EBV etc., the only virus I showed positive antibodies for was Varicella.

I've been curious about trying anti-virals (just because my condition is so severe, and I'm growing desperate), but didn't think there was any evidence it was virally-based.

However, given the positive antibodies for chickenpox, is it possible the virus could have reactivated and is contributing? Or would anyone who has had chickenpox in the past show antibodies?

JES

Antibodies against herpesviruses mean almost nothing, because the herpes type viruses persist forever once you caught them, so the immune system will always mount an antibody response against them. A really high titer might give some clues, but still treating agaisnt these type of viruses have been inefficient in CFS/ME.

arewenearlythereyet

As far as I'm aware once you developed resistance to a bug you have the immunity for life. The resistance comes from memory B cells ( this is how vaccines work I believe). This is different to the antibody itself which doesn't last longer than a few weeks. When the virus or whatever is detected the memory B cells recognise it and antibodies are released. I believe that some viruses can "lurk around" but once detected they should be dealt with in a normal healthy immune system. What happens in a compromised immune system I don't really know. It's possible that you came into contact and your body is "dealing with it". This is all stuff I'm really rusty on and probably too simplistic. The most important measure is symptoms I guess. If there are no chicken pox or shingles symptoms then you are probably ok?

outdamnspot

Antibodies against herpesviruses mean almost nothing, because the herpes type viruses persist forever once you caught them, so the immune system will always mount an antibody response against them. A really high titer might give some clues, but still treating agaisnt these type of viruses have been inefficient in CFS/ME.

That's true, though it seems like *some* people with EBV etc. titers do improve on antivirals. I would really like to try something to improve my functioning, even marginally (currently 100℅ housebound), and had been curious about Valcyte but didn't think there was a viral component to my CFS until I remembered the Varicella result. My doctor is not offering any help, so any ideas are self-directed at this point.

JES

That's true, though it seems like *some* people with EBV etc. titers do improve on antivirals. I would really like to try something to improve my functioning, even marginally (currently 100℅ housebound), and had been curious about Valcyte but didn't think there was a viral component to my CFS until I remembered the Varicella result. My doctor is not offering any help, so any ideas are self-directed at this point.

It's true that in conditions like HIV/AIDS something like a herpesvirus could reactivate, so I guess this is possible in theory with CFS/ME. There is speculation though that Valcyte may work for CFS/ME not because of its anti-herpesvirus effect but rather because it's an immunomodulator that affects the microglia. I have only tested valtrex, which was a disappointment.