• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does anyone know what "Immunoreactive Ceruloplasmin" is?

aaron_c

Hi Yall,

For perhaps the first time ever, the internet has failed me: I cannot seem to find a definition of "immunoreactive ceruloplasmin" anywhere. Possibly we don't actually know what it is for? This is the article in which I first saw it mentioned. I find elsewhere that it may not contain copper. Is it the same as apoceruloplasmin? Does it have a physiological role that we know of?

I rarely ask for help like this, but after three pages of google searches with no definition I think it is time to see if any of the smart people over here already know!

Thank you.

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
Hi Yall,

For perhaps the first time ever, the internet has failed me: I cannot seem to find a definition of "immunoreactive ceruloplasmin" anywhere. Possibly we don't actually know what it is for? This is the article in which I first saw it mentioned. I find elsewhere that it may not contain copper. Is it the same as apoceruloplasmin? Does it have a physiological role that we know of?

I rarely ask for help like this, but after three pages of google searches with no definition I think it is time to see if any of the smart people over here already know!

Thank you.

Generally speaking 'Immunoreactive X' just means X as measured in an immunoassay. It is a rigorous technical way of pointing out that when you say you measured ceruloplasmin you did it by immunoassay and so you cannot guarantee anything about the function of the ceruloplasmin, just that it showed up in your test.

alicec

I read the paragraph where ceruloplasmin is mentioned in the article you cited. It is as @Jonathan Edwards suggests. They distinguish between enzymatic and immunoreactive ceruloplasmin. The former is ceruloplasmin measured by an enzymatic assay (ie a test of function) the latter as measured in a immunoassay, which says nothing about function.

It is a review article summarising the studies of others so they are indicating that different types of assay techniques were used.

I don't think it means anything in the broader context of ceruloplasmin, its just being scrupulous in terms of technical detail.

aaron_c

Thank you both for responding! This is an important part of what I love about phoenixrising.