• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does Anyone Else Hate This?

belize44

There was a time when I could catch a whiff of cigarette smoke and it hardly bothered me. Now I can feel my airways start to constrict when I smell it; that and diesel fumes when we're on the road. Once we were in Florida and paid to go into a National park that had natural springs. Some people were there, smoking like chimneys and we had to leave because the smoke would just hang in the air. :devil: Thankfully the parks here in PA have rules about no smoking!

Last edited:

perchance dreamer

I get sick as a dog when I smell cigarette smoke although I always think it serves me right since I smoked for so many years.

Food smells don't bother me at all, but I can't handle other scents. There's a store in Austin with merchandise I love and can't find anywhere else, but they have one of those plug-in scent abominations, so I can't go. I've talked to the manager about it and explained that these scents make some people sick, and he just said, I know.

Artificial odors from fragrance dispensers in public bathrooms are big problems for me, too. I'd much rather bathrooms have good ventilation rather than relying on these stink bombs.

SilverbladeTE

One of my absolute fave scents is sandalwood :)
We used to have a little incense burner with it when I was a kid, and (a good mix, I hate heavy overpowered stuff) it's my fave aftershave....
not much point now, sigh, part of reason I wear a beard.

then again way they wiped out much of the sandalwood trees in their greed was monstrous :(

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I recently saw an ad for laundry stink enhancer! :eek:

And while I'm on a rant, I can recall when dryer sheets (then called softener sheets) were a replacement for liquid fabric softener. Now ads suggest that you use both. :rolleyes:

Valentijn

And while I'm on a rant, I can recall when dryer sheets (then called softener sheets) were a replacement for liquid fabric softener. Now ads suggest that you use both. :rolleyes:
I'm pretty sure our neighbors do. It smells disgusting every time they hang their laundry out to dry in their garden. Though they're both super-active - a dance instructor and an ex-military fitness trainer I think. So perhaps they have a genuine need to have extra stink on their clothes to cover up sweaty smells :wide-eyed:

I'd much rather smell sweaty people than perfumed stenches!

belize44

I'd much rather smell sweaty people than perfumed stenches!

I never thought I would say that, but I agree; at least sweat is natural!

When we used to pass our former upstairs neighbors on the way into the building, we had to hold our breath because of the stench of perfumed laundry products!

Old Bones

Perhaps the "Tide" is changing (pun intended). I subscribe to the Environmental Working Group (EWG) newsletter. Yesterday, it included some very good news -- that Proctor and Gamble, the world's biggest maker of household and personal care products, have announced sweeping changes to how they will report fragrance ingredients in products such as laundry detergents, shampoos, and air fresheners. From the September 1 newsletter:

By 2019, the Cincinnati-based company will begin online disclosure of fragrance ingredients – down to 0.01 percent of the product – for all its products and lines sold in the U.S. and Canada, according to the company’s news release. Procter & Gamble will first offer consumers details about the fragrance ingredients for Tide purclean laundry detergents, Herbal Essences shampoos, Febreze air fresheners and Olay skin care products.

“It is clear Procter & Gamble is listening to its customers and consumers overall, who have called for more transparency of ingredients in household products,” said Cook (EWG President). “Because of the company’s sheer size and market share, P&G’s sweeping initiative could be the domino that triggers similar actions from the rest of the industry that has not yet embraced this level of transparency for fragrance ingredients.

Cook noted that in its 25 years, EWG has been at the forefront of chemical ingredient disclosure in consumer goods, believing people have the right to know what is in the products they purchase and use on themselves and in their homes.

“We applaud P&G for its commitment and leadership in taking these significant steps towards giving the public more information about ingredients, and we predict other companies will soon follow suit,” Cook added.

http://www.ewg.org/release/procter-...708TYNewsletter&utm_medium=email#.Watnz7KGNdg

belize44

Cook noted that in its 25 years, EWG has been at the forefront of chemical ingredient disclosure in consumer goods, believing people have the right to know what is in the products they purchase and use on themselves and in their homes.

“We applaud P&G for its commitment and leadership in taking these significant steps towards giving the public more information about ingredients, and we predict other companies will soon follow suit,” Cook added.

http://www.ewg.org/release/procter-...708TYNewsletter&utm_medium=email#.Watnz7KGNdg
This is awesome news! I am really happy to hear that, since there are thousands of us out there who have MCS and maybe this will wake people up who have no idea!

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I hope so. I find Tide to be one of the worst smelling detergents. I feel worse after spending time with family that use it and I don't even MCS, just mild allergies.