• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Doctor says chronic fatigue syndrome can be cured!?

Nielk

Hi Neil.

Respect for your Crohn's matey. That can be difficult.

My statement does swing on the XMRV theory, which, I think is likely to be proved true. People under 40 stand a good chance of getting to remission. This age group are more likely to be more sexually active. Assuming the virus is sexually transmitted, and/or the other methods such as breast milk, then society has a problem akin to HIV in the 80's.

I know of many in this age group, who are not in touch with the developing science, and some who are deliberately not wanting to hear about retroviruses. And many starting families in that state of denial.

Hi Gregf,

I respect your opinion that XMRV will be proven as the agent affecting ME patients. It has not yet been scientifically accepted. Hopefully soon we will get a more definitive answer. From my readings, and I may be wrong, they pretty much established that it is not a sexually acquired illness. They are more concentrating on it being communicable through blood. That is why they put out the warning about ME patients not donating blood. I think that we see a lot more combinations of parent and child or siblings coming down with ME than partners.

All the best,
Nielk

Nielk

Don't get me wrong, I was only referring to the claim that someone could heal CFS.

I understand. I also would be very suspicious of a doctor who says he has the cure for ME. I would run the other way. I just don't want you or others attributing these words to Dr. Enlander. He was grossly misquoted in the press and that's a shame but, sometimes that's the way the press likes to "sensationalize". I have heard and read that Dr. Enlander said that he was misquoted and I knowing him, fully believe it because he NEVER claims he can cure anyone of this illness. He can help and they feel better and that's only 30% of his patient group and only the ones who have come to him before they were severely affected.