• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Doctor-recommended cure for ME

Countrygirl

:( How stupid are they?
Anyway, I'm wishing I lived in the south west too.. Hope you all get to meet up:thumbsup:

@Hilary, just bring your mattress and maybe a cushion as I am running out now.

How stupid are they? Well, one of my previous GPs told me I can't be ill as I wear lipstick. I never realised how potent a bit of lippy could be...........................sadly, however, it doesn't seem to be efficacious for me. Not sure whether he has published yet, and anyway, we know Esther wouldn't consider it as 'adding to the world literature' on ME..................but there again................compared to her Quickfix, Magenta,...............it is probably is right up there with the best of UK scientific offerings on ME.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Well I'm not far from Cornwall, so depending where you are, we could possibly pick you up if you're able to travel. (she says, volunteering her chariot driver, he won't mind). :D

I'm loving the sound of this club @Countrygirl, we get to be both Boadaiceas and a Monstrous Regiment of Women! Fab! :woot: :thumbsup:
I've been thinking a lot about this, but it will depend on my state at the time. I'm trying to work out ways of making myself more evening-like during the day! (I'm usually better in the evenings!) But even in the evenings I'm not great. Part of the condition, I guess.

MeSci

I'm wondering if my tooth problems are contributing to my current bout of misery. I had ten fillings, including one in a cracked tooth, then something started hurting.... Meanwhile, my dentist caught mono(!) so who knows when he'll be back in the office. Just too sick to contemplate going anywhere, much less a new dentist.
Did you have amalgams? I'm going to try to avoid them. I had so many in my childhood.

Countrygirl

I've been thinking a lot about this, but it will depend on my state at the time. I'm trying to work out ways of making myself more evening-like during the day! (I'm usually better in the evenings!) But even in the evenings I'm not great. Part of the condition, I guess.

It would be great if you could join us @MeSci .

We need to discuss this as a group, rather than here. We are just floating ideas at the moment.

One possibility, is that we make it an all-day get-together :hug: in a home where people can collapse as needed, eat what they want and just enjoy the company of those who face similar problems without the stress of appearing 'normal' :cool: We have mine at the Dorset/Somerset east end of the county and another further south nearer the Cornish border. For those who can't make it in person perhaps could join via Skype. Also it would be a chance to organise some local advocacy.

Hilary

@Countrygirl - you can't be ill because you wear lipstick?? Hahaha that is both appalling and hilarious:rofl:.. We can't win - if we venture out looking unkempt and scarecrow-like someone will say we must 'just' be depressed (for which no doubt apply a Kwikfix CBT sticking plaster) but if we make an effort (lipstick or whatever prevents wraith-like appearance) then we can't possibly be ill.....

I would love to join you but I'm in the south east - can I be honorary member too?

MeSci

It would be great if you could join us @MeSci .

We need to discuss this as a group, rather than here. We are just floating ideas at the moment.

One possibility, is that we make it an all-day get-together :hug: in a home where people can collapse as needed, eat what they want and just enjoy the company of those who face similar problems without the stress of appearing 'normal' :cool: We have mine at the Dorset/Somerset east end of the county and another further south nearer the Cornish border. For those who can't make it in person perhaps could join via Skype. Also it would be a chance to organise some local advocacy.
'Normally' I have trouble nowadays (since early this year) with advocacy except petitions. I used to do all sorts. Like most ME-ers, I used to be very (politically) active as well as working full-time. But those days appear to be over. (I'm hoping that it's just a blip, but have to face the grim possibility.)

IreneF

Did you have amalgams? I'm going to try to avoid them. I had so many in my childhood.
No amalgams. I never had cavities as a kid. I'm not sure what these are--maybe ceramic. They were sure expensive.

My tooth problems are related to thinning enamel, receding gums, and bruxism. I'm taking a drug that's been connected to night time clenching. I can't even open my mouth all the way anymore. I've been wearing a night guard for years; it helps.

Countrygirl

@Countrygirl - you can't be ill because you wear lipstick?? Hahaha that is both appalling and hilarious:rofl:.. We can't win - if we venture out looking unkempt and scarecrow-like someone will say we must 'just' be depressed (for which no doubt apply a Kwikfix CBT sticking plaster) but if we make an effort (lipstick or whatever prevents wraith-like appearance) then we can't possibly be ill.....

I would love to join you but I'm in the south east - can I be honorary member too?

@Hilary I hereby dub you (waving sword precariously over your head) an honourary member of the the West's Monstrous Regiment of Women. (All men welcome of course) May have to change our name to the MR of the Dumnonii

(Dumnonii were the tribe who inhabited Devon and Cornwall and bits of Somerset and Dorset when it was known as West Wales, before the uncouth scabby foreign English hordes invaded us and pushed the Cornish border back from Exeter to the Tamar. We still spoke Cornish here in Devon as late as the 14th century.)

Countrygirl

Can't we keep MRW, I love it, maybe have another sensible title if you wanted to use for advocacy?

Dear Prof Holgate,

We are the Monstrous Regiment of Women from the far West......................not too sure..........I just wonder if the name might lose us a bit of credibility.........not that we seem to have any anyway

....................but for all other purposes the MRW it is.

Countrygirl

Hi everyone,

The alert don't seem to have gone out, but it you are hoping to join, do look in groups and you will see your invite there.

If your invite isn't there, let us know.

Thanks to Molly for kicking this off.

We have a letter to send to Prof Holgate and we need a name asap.

Cantankerous Crones about fits the bill @Invisible Woman. :)

char47

I agree that the inclusion of 'women' in a name is a hindrance to credibility.

How about:
The Monstrous Regiment of Cornwall (and thereabouts) - the MRC.
Or perhaps the Credible Monstrous Regiment of Cornwall (and thereabouts) - the CMRC.

hahaha, thats brilliant Hutan :lol:

well i wish i lived near you all, you sound just my kind of people, this thread has been so funny to read. I cant bear to try putting myself through checking out my own local support group... they are called 'The POSITIVE ME group' (their capitals not mine) :cautious:.... the name says it all huh? but their write up is all about how 'positive' they are in every sentence....
Since i'm a CBT loathing old bat who swears & gets angry about the MEpolitical situation, i dont think i'll be espeically welcome :D And since they meet in a busy town centre cafe they are obviously not geared up for the severe :rolleyes:

Hope you all manage to meet up its a great idea, it will be like a daytime slumber party :)