• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Doctor-recommended cure for ME

Countrygirl

I'm not sure that I can get anywhere. Have no transport, no partner, no local friends to speak of. Had hoped to make some as I came up to my pension (which I think I have!), but became iller, which seems to have blown my plans. Still hold out some hope...

@MeSci You and I seem to be in the same boat. No partner, family and friends in the churchyards, about to lose the remaining pennies I have had to live on and galloping health probs in addition to ME. HOWEVER, never say die!

Sooo how about it fellow Boadaicaes of the West Country? Now I do have a quiet meeting place.

I am a member of here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devon_and_Exeter_Institution

It is a wondrous place and reminds me of being back in Oxford Uni libraries. As you pass through the door you leave the 21st century and walk straight into the 18th. Paradise! It is my version of Heaven, books from floor to ceiling, (and what a ceiling!), comfy armchairs and sofas, and...................silence. Plenty of places to study and write. Outside is the cathedral and ..................oh...................and that terrible fire of a few days ago that has completely destroyed three of the medieval buildings.:(

We could meet in the little Earls' of Devon dining room (about 1600s), have coffee and chat and decide what we do from there.

What do you think? Anyone game?

Last edited:

Countrygirl

A great idea @Countrygirl, would love to meet the other Boadaiceas of the South West :)
I am not sure if I could do the centre of Exeter, not been into the city for a few years, too much stimulation for me. But I am sure we could find somewhere else quiet that we could all get to.
@Countrygirl are you able to start a private message group so we can all discuss further?

Well, why don't we?

Countrygirl

That place sounds wonderful @Countrygirl, but it can be such a nightmare getting into the city :( There would need to be parking very close by, I'm sure many wouldn't be able to walk very far.

when I could still drive a bit, I used to park in the next road, in Southernhay.

As I can only travel into the city by train now, I can only access the centre. There is parking nearby at St Mary Arches, but you may have to use a wheelchair.

Must be a way round this.

barbc56

Must be a way round this.

Just a thought from across the pond. When I couldn't make it to my daughters wedding they skyped the ceremony and celebration afterwards so I could see it in real time. It still hurt, still does that I couldn't be there but it certainly took the edge off the pain.

Don't know if this will fit into the purpose of your meeting but thought I'd mention it.

Edit. I missed this. Great minds and all that? Can't seem to put @Countrygirl quote but the one about social media.

Countrygirl

....folks, where's @Mrs Sowester ...? Isn't she from this neck of the woods?

Sorry, I've kinda missed out on what's been going on (bit of a rocky patch) but now that I think of it I don't remember seeing any any posts from her in the last week.

Oh yes, of course. I was just listing everyone I know of from here and knew there was someone I had missed.
Mrs S is in the letter group I'm part of and she suddenly became ill after a couple of days about a month ago and we haven't seen her since.

Worrying...................and still no sign of Bob. Makes one uneasy.

Ta da!

The lady herself.

external

What is a UK doctor doing, recommending a patient to an Australian doctor?

IreneF

Me too - I'm only just in Cornwall! I'll have some nuts, but they may need to be ground as I'm waiting for my teeth to be fixed (may be a long wait...).
I'm wondering if my tooth problems are contributing to my current bout of misery. I had ten fillings, including one in a cracked tooth, then something started hurting.... Meanwhile, my dentist caught mono(!) so who knows when he'll be back in the office. Just too sick to contemplate going anywhere, much less a new dentist.

Hilary

I've been lurking around this thread the last day or two and, lunatic medical advisers/advice notwithstanding, it has really cheered me up. What is it with these medics?? One GP informed me that taking sleep meds is "a lifestyle choice".. What, like having to give up a promising career, no social life to speak of, not being able to visit family for years on end (daughter in Australia) etc etc are lifestyle choices??o_O:( How stupid are they?
Anyway, I'm wishing I lived in the south west too.. Hope you all get to meet up:thumbsup: