• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Do you know your HLA types?

Gingergrrl

Am backing out if this one b/c just don't have the cognitive power to understand or discuss it. I apologize.

I am going by how sick I am after breathing in black mold for 2.5 yrs through our A/C system.
HLA results don't change your symptoms or experiences.
The HLA test only confirmed what I already knew.
It can't really, at this point. At least not in the ways which Shoemaker claims.

But that doesn't invalidate your symptoms or the causes for them. It's mostly a matter of HLA data being irrelevant in determining mold reaction thus far. People can get sick from mold, and that is probably what has happened to you. But that doesn't mean HLA is involved at all.
No one in my family or husbands family has blue eyes.
Odds are they do have one of the HLA types blamed by Shoemaker for causing various problems. 85% of Americans do, and that is based entirely on the prevalence rates of HLA types in Americans. And even if they don't - that doesn't disprove the data collected from the much larger sample.
I think we just agree to disagree and this is just one test of many that I hope to have and I believe my results are accurate and if you want to refer to them as meaningless that is your prerogative.
Your results are accurate. But the interpretations of those results based on Shoemaker's claims are completely unfounded.

Science is not about belief, but rather it is about observations following specific (scientific) procedures and principles. Science can't be about what we want, or what we thought was accurate before learning more, even if we put our egos on the line a bit by repeating those claims or otherwise relying upon them. When we try to warp science in that manner, it ceases to be science.

Gingergrrl

Please, God, stop tagging me into this thread. I do not know the science or what the words mean that you guys are using. I am asking sincere questions to learn about mold testing for non Caucasians in the hope of recovery for me and my entire family.

My insurance will not pay for my medications today and we are so far in debt from this mold experience I do not see a way out. I come here for help, not to argue about science or which ethnic groups these tests were made for. Please just take me out of this thread b/c we are at two different levels and I have no more energy to extend on this.

I am not mad, just completely defeated.

out2lunch

G
Please, God, stop tagging me into this thread. I do not know the science or what the words mean that you guys are using. I am asking sincere questions to learn about mold testing for non Caucasians in the hope of recovery for me and my entire family.

My insurance will not pay for my medications today and we are so far in debt from this mold experience I do not see a way out. I come here for help, not to argue about science or which ethnic groups these tests were made for. Please just take me out of this thread b/c we are at two different levels and I have no more energy to extend on this.

I am not mad, just completely defeated.
Gingergrrl… I hope there's some light at the end of this long dark tunnel you and your family are going through.

One suggestion I might make for you, is to contact Steven Krafchick's law firm: http://www.krafchick.com/index.htm.

Steven is considered one of the top disability lawyers for our patient population. He sits on the Board of IACFS/ME and is very well connected. His firm deals with disability claims in Washington state and Oregon, but because of his connections, he or someone on his team might know of a lawyer in SoCal who can help you. Getting financial restitution is one of the most important things for you, and these guys just might be able to help.

Take care.

Gingergrrl

Thank you @out2lunch and very kind of you. I actually have an excellent disability atty helping me apply for soc sec. It is all the other issues that are overpowering us right now. Thank you for your kindness.

wastwater

I'm just having a look at HLA now.
I'd like to get the whole of chromosome 6 looked at

Last edited: