• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Do you have crimson crescents?

Do you have crimson crescents?

• I have them and I tested positive for XMRV.

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • I don't have them and I tested positive for XMRV.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I have them and I tested negative for XMRV.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • I don't have them and I tested negative for XMRV.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have them and I have not yet been tested for XMRV.

Votes: 94 79.0%
  • I don't have them and I have not yet been tested for XMRV.

Votes: 13 10.9%

• Total voters
R

Robin

This poll is an extension of this thread.

Crimson crescents are little fishhook like red marks on the sides of the throat that have been observed in CFS patients.

More about them here.

I added red marks to this picture to help you locate them. They're on the sides (for me, anyway) and kind of hard to spot at first.

UM7Vv.jpg

Otis

Señor Mumbler
Great poll. I've heard of them but never would have found them without the diagram.

Interesting results thus far...

jace

Off the fence
Cool. Thanks for the diagram - I needed that! I'll add my vote when I've got my XMRV results.

K

_Kim_

This poll is an extension of this thread.

Crimson crescents are little fishhook like red marks on the sides of the throat that have been observed in CFS patients.

More about them here.

I added red marks to this picture to help you locate them. They're on the sides (for me, anyway) and kind of hard to spot at first.

UM7Vv.jpg

My crescent crimsons rise up on the pharangeal arches (like the McDonalds logo) as well as being present on the sides (like Robin). I colored this part blue.

crimson crescent&#46.JPG

awol

Would it be possible for someone to add a diagram that shows what they look like for people with tonsils removed? Apparently it is quite different.

MEKoan

My tonsils are removed but my crimson crescents look just like the diagram. I didn't even notice the tonsils.

I know when they are more or less noticeable by whether or not I have a sore throat.

leelaplay

Thanks Robin & Kim. I had never heard of this before.

I've had my tonsils out. Checked in the mirror (ahem, uh, well, it took me over a minute to figure out NOT to stick my tongue out as can't see anything that way. Was thinking maybe my mouth was too small, my tongue too big - but no, just my brain not fully working :Retro redface:)

My left side is just like Robin's diagram. The right side is much smaller - just near the lower back right molar. Does anyone else have asymmetry like that?

awol

we should move the original thread here (moderators) because it would give a bit more context.

K

_Kim_

Thanks Robin & Kim. I had never heard of this before.

I've had my tonsils out. Checked in the mirror (ahem, uh, well, it took me over a minute to figure out NOT to stick my tongue out as can't see anything that way. Was thinking maybe my mouth was too small, my tongue too big - but no, just my brain not fully working :Retro redface:)

My left side is just like Robin's diagram. The right side is much smaller - just near the lower back right molar. Does anyone else have asymmetry like that?

Yes, the right side (where I often have a swollen tonsil) is more red/covers a bigger area.

Because I'm such a dork, I stuck my camera phone and flashlight in my mouth - so you can see that the right side (left in this mirror picture) is more red/purple.

Photo_052210_021..JPG

Here is a pic that shows the left crescent
Photo_052210_008..JPG

D

DysautonomiaXMRV

Good thread! Yes I do have CC. A doctor told me ages ago. Isn't it seen in HIV? Something to do with HHV-8/Kaposi's sarcoma which I think is a form of cancer in HIV.
Maybe XMRV makes us more likely to have it because our mal adpative belief system causes it to appear because we want it to.

I reckon we should do CBT for Crimson Crescents, failing that we could do home study english literature classes so I can learn how to spell it.

I am now terrified by _Kim's_ mouth!!!!! LOL. Run for the hills the page is alive... CHOMP. ** Eeeek.

lululowry

What do you think?

Okay, inspired by Kim and a little confused as to whether these are crimson crescents or my chronically red tonsils. :ashamed:

Attachments

• DSC00035..jpg
    DSC00035..jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 189

lululowry

Many thanks Kim! That area is actually very bright red. I can't believe I shared such a revealing photo of my...tonsils on the internet!:tear: If my kids knew how quickly I whipped out a photo of my tonsils, I would never hear the end of it! :Retro tongue:

rebecca1995

Apple, anyone?
I have crimson crescents!

I'm thrilled--they weren't there the last time I checked! Or maybe they were, and I was just looking in the wrong place?

It's always a boon to have objective signs of illness! :victory::victory::victory: