• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Do you find restaurants exhausting?

rosie26

I sit outside. I can stay longer then and leave in better shape. Noise crashes me very quickly, my words become slurred, I feel strain in the eyes and I notice that I also rub my hand over my forehead constantly because I am struggling to function at all. When I get to this stage I need to get home quickly.
Just reading this again and it sounded like these were my only symptoms but I was being very brief. There are so many more, nausea, inner trembling/buzzing vibrations, weakness, lightheadedness to name some more.

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
Well, I never enjoyed restaurants, and it costs too much. So I take a flask and a picnic and find a beautiful place to sit.. Eating out! in real style ...
I agree restaurants are pricey but a picnic is even more exhausting work

Marigold7

I agree restaurants are pricey but a picnic is even more exhausting work

Why?A flask, which I take with me anyways, a sandwich in a bag... a cake ...Sit in the car with door and window open.... Bliss. Keep it simple..

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
Why?A flask, which I take with me anyways, a sandwich in a bag... a cake ...Sit in the car with door and window open.... Bliss. Keep it simple..
Thats quite a bit for me, making sandwich, flask needs washing before and after (as well as either washing containers or buying sandwich bags which i can't afford), driving, eating in cramped space, trying not to spill in cramped space.

The car is great. Who needs a bench?
see above

Its all a juggling act, a car works for you, its difficult for me. I used to like eating at restaurants but these days i find eating at home easier, microwave (or skip the meal completely), eat at my own pace, lay down when needed, eat slowly and not think too much (or socialize or noise).
Cooking is difficult though, then again so is everything :bang-head:

arewenearlythereyet

I live in the city. There are lovely picnic spots on the cathedral green, by the river, in the country park etc. We have a nice hamper which we used to use. Now it's a military operation trying to get wife, kid and picnic together. Then there are the people to deal with...the bench or a seat is a necessity... Can't carry a seat with me so have to rely on what's available. Getting onto the ground and back up again is too much of a palaver. My wife has become a pack horse for everything I can't carry...my 8 year old also.

Having said all that...the "perfect day" with a "take out picnic" when a bench is available...can almost feel like life is spontaneous again. .....it's all the people taking up my bench space that ruins it. Much easier to book a table at a restaurant when you know you can sit down when you need to and not have to hang around rocking too and fro on your heels waiting for people to get on with it. ( I know I sound like a right "victor")

I had a great moment holidaying in Nice before I got sick.... I will never forget ....hung over from a great meal and wine the night before with friends...staggered on to the street from the hotel and had the most excellent espresso and almond croissant on the pavement. Smoking a cigarette and taking in the early morning sun.

Simple things I wish for. How different things are now. Perhaps I need to plan a car picnic? By the time I have planned it though the uk weather will have foiled my attempt I'm sure. Lost of sun this weekend so you never know.