• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Do "stimulants" turn the "lights on?"

drob31

I was just wondering everyone's experiences with this and the implications. I noticed that allot of caffeine and or perhaps other stimulants will turn the lights on, but I feel this is because it's possibly increasing adrenaline and dopamine and other things that are chronically low to begin with. I know this won't be true for everyone, but I was just curious to hear your experiences.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
When I was more functional I loved them, especially when I found the right one. Now they do nothing for me but make me jittery. They never get to my brain to improve cognitive functioning. I do want to Modafinil.

Last edited:

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
@drob31

Have you read the threads on adderall and ritalin? People seem to have varying responses. For some, at a low dose, amphetamines have been helpful. They seem to have other effects than simple stimulation. They may increase blood flow to the brain and help with OI.

For others, they caused more problems. True for most treatments it seems.

Sushi

I agree with Sushi. Mostly they make my adrenals work harder, and I have adrenal fatigue so that's a bad thing. But most of them helped with OI and cognition.

Most stimulants make me pay too much attention to details that I shouldn't. I have friends who said the same for "over attention".

They made me crash when they wore off. I couldn't be on them too many hours in a week. I couldn't just keep taking more.

drob31

5 hour energy seems to click with me pretty well although it has regular folic acid in it which is terrible. I'm having issues with high cortisol, so it's not a smart idea to do it too often, and I'm starting to experiment with ways to lower cortisol while still getting the positive benefit. For instance, taking Seriphos and magnesium with caffeine to perhaps flatten the cortisol spike.

I should mention with the right b vitamin and stimulant cocktail I can almost feel normal.