• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Do IVIG infusions affect subsequent autoimmune test results?

Jesse2233

12 days ago I had 30g of IVIG. I plan on doing blood draws for Cyrex Array #5, and CellTrend, however I'm unsure if I should wait a certain amount of time before getting the tests done.

I emailed both labs, but have not heard back and the doctor who ordered the labs wasn't sure.

Does anyone on here know? @Jonathan Edwards perhaps?

Thanks!

Gingergrrl

Am actually at my IVIG right now and yes they can affect future testing in both directions. Right now I am showing passive immunity/antibodies to an illness that I have never had nor been vaccinated for.

My main doc and my MCAS doc (who is an allergist/immunologist) are both 99% certain this is what is going on. Both docs told me that you will never have fully accurate tests for antibodies or autoantibodies after IVIG.

My MCAS doc told me the half life for passive antibodies from IVIG is about 4 wks so I will probably show passive immunity to certain things for a few months but it is not "real". I don't know if I explained this well and apologies if it made no sense!

Edited: Passive immunity is NOT latent disease that can re-activate vs. false passive transfer of antibodies through the IVIG donors.

Gingergrrl

Thanks Ginger Hmm need to figure out how to balance treatments with testing. I suppose getting the blood work right before the next one is the best bet

This is what my doctor had me do (and my IVIG's are three wks apart) so I did the blood work on the day right before my IVIG, of the previous cycle, which was the last day possible. Sadly Quest screwed up and ran the wrong test (on the most important one that we needed for pre-Rituximab blood work) so I am going to have to go back and re-do it. It's like a million little puzzle pieces to fit together (as I know you understand)!

The Cell Trend auto-antibodies are much more obscure (unless they are truly not as obscure and no one has invented a test for this outside of Germany)? My main doc ran the test a second time when I was about half-way through IVIG but no change in my 7 positive autoantibodies. I think it will take Rituximab to lower them, so am not really sure that those results would be altered by you having one infusion of IVIG, but of course, I do not know for sure!