Volunteer opportunity: Organizing Phoenix Rising articles
This section contains all the articles that have been published by Phoenix Rising over the years. As you will see if you browse here, some of the articles are outdated--either the research has been superseded or retracted or the article features an event or campaign that is now in...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Do I need to tell my doctor if I have Australian flu?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by veganmua, Jan 10, 2018.

1. veganmua

veganmua Senior Member

London, UK
    I am so ill, I have severe ME anyway. Is there anything they can do, or will they just tell me to take painkillers and wait until I'm better. Been really ill for a day and a half.

Joh, justy and Countrygirl like this.
  2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    If you act very fast you might be prescribed tamiflu ... but there is no telling how you might react. On the other hand I do not know the antiviral policy in the UK. They might just say rest, drink fluids, and take some OTC painkillers.

3. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    I also do not know if Tamiflu is effective against H3N2.

4. Artorias

Artorias

UK
    I see you're in the UK. Call 111, tell them you are housebound and too ill to visit the doctor. Someone will call you back and either give you the same info that a doctor would give you (rest, take painkillers, keep taking in fluids etc), or arrange for someone to visit you. Hope you feel better soon.

5. zzz

zzz Senior Member

Oregon
    It's actually not clear that Tamiflu is very effective against any flu virus, especially once symptoms have arisen. In the January/February 2018 issue of Discover magazine, the article "A Flu-Fighter's Fall from Grace" states the following:
    One independent review was by the Cochrane Collaboration, published in the BMJ as the article Tamiflu & Relenza: how effective are they? From the article:

6. Joh

Joh Inactivist

Germany
    I have no recommendation, sorry, just wanted to send my best wishes! Hopefully you'll recover and go back to baseline soon. :balloons: Your parents seem to be supportive (from your other threads), could they phone the GP and ask what to do or ask for a home visit?

ETA: Sorry, just saw that this thread is 2 weeks old. I was a little late! Hopefully you're already much better!

See more popular forum discussions.