• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Do i need some form of folic acid if supplementing with adenosylcobalamin?

Cindi

I started taking adenosyl cobalamin injections.500 mcg per day.It has been two days and so far no problems. I wonder if i should take some form of folic acid with it or is it not necessary? What do you think? Thanks.

richvank

Hi, Cindi.

If your goal is only to support the methylmalonate pathway, the adenosyl B12 will do that by itself, though you will likely need to increase the dosage.

If your goal also includes lifting the partial methylation cycle block and restoring glutathione, which is necessary for recovery from ME/CFS, then yes, you will need to add folate. I would not recommend folic acid, though. Methylfolate is the form needed by the methylation cycle. Folinic acid in addition can be helpful for most PWMEs.

Best regards,

Rich

Cindi

Thanks so much Rich my purpose was only to supply some b12 for anemia. So, if i understood you correctly I guess it is okay if i don't take any folic acid.Thanks so much.

richvank

Hi, Cindi.

If you have macrocytic anemia, that is actually caused by low folate in the cells that become red blood cells. The role of B12 in treating this is to help the cells to retain their folate. I don't know what your folate status is, but it's possible that you will need to add some, if it is low.

Best regards,

Rich