• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Do I have POTS?

Scarecrow

Revolting Peasant
The portable monitor would only take readings when I was sat down. Every time I was standing it would try to take a reading 3 times then just give up. This meant all readings looked normal. I tried explaining this but I guess it is what it is. My blood pressure isn't really a problem anyway. I do have my own monitor.
The reason I suggested a blood pressure monitor with a memory function is so that your heart rate is recorded

Did your GP offer you any explanation why the portable monitor wouldn't take any readings while you were standing? The failure of the monitor might suggest that you do have a problem with your blood pressure when standing.

SJL

Something to do with arm position.

The readings from my home blood pressure monitor are fine. My BP does increase when standing though, just not a great deal.

Scarecrow

Revolting Peasant
Good luck with your next visit. If you get no joy, then do contact POTS UK. By the way, they have a GP Guide that they suggest taking with you.

The portable monitor would only take readings when I was sat down. Every time I was standing it would try to take a reading 3 times then just give up. This meant all readings looked normal. I tried explaining this but I guess it is what it is. My blood pressure isn't really a problem anyway. I do have my own monitor.
A low pulse pressure will cause most blood pressure monitors to give an error message. Basically the diastolic and systolic values will get too close together, and it results in a weak pulse which the monitors can't pick up consistently enough to give a reading.

So getting error messages, plus increased heart rate when standing, does seem pretty suggestive of some form of orthostatic hypotension. It can be easy even for doctors to miss it, due to them not taking your blood pressure when you're in the right position, as well as due to the systolic and diastolic values each looking relatively normal in isolation. They really just aren't trained to look for low pulse pressure at all, with the possible exception of ER (A&E) doctors.

SJL

The monitor I use at home has an arm strap and takes my readings fine when standing. My standing blood pressure is usually around 120-130 over 70-80.

This morning was particularly bad, my pulse standing still 5 minutes after getting out of bed was 120. It was around 100 when standing an hour later.

I ate a heavy meal earlier and noticed gas buildup quite quickly after, when I belched I felt a strong skipped beat straight after. I think the gas is triggering my vagus nerve and giving me palps.

SJL

Hi guys

It's been a few months now since I made this thread and I'm still experiencing similar issues although sometimes it seems to almost go away before coming back with a vengeance.

One thing I've noticed though is that sometimes upon standing from lying or sitting down instead of my heart rate increasing by 30bpm it will produce a slow forceful beat instead.

I have an appointment with a cardiologist next month to hopefully rule out any electrical or structural problems as I'm also still experiencing palpitations as well.

@SJL I'm interested to hear on how you go with your appointment!
I've had periodic POTS symptoms throughout the years I've been suffering from ME/CFS, but had no idea they could signify a diagnosis on their own. Other than the obvious rapid increase in heart rate after changing posture, I've experienced lightheadedness, weakness, headaches, shortness of breath, low blood pressure and excessive thirst. Only recently have I been doing some research and have entertained the possibility that I may have POTS.
Please keep us updated on how you go!