• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Do I have any lost twins out there? ;-)

Valentijn

@Valentijn maybe I can get a little more clarity with this example. The first one you quote, re TT, I also have. My snptips, when I mouse over that rs, says it's TT on the + strand.
So that would be -/-, or the better version of rs3797546.

In the 2nd one, I'm AG on the + strand.
GG is the common version of rs3733890, and AG and AA are beneficial up-regulations, according to my more recent notes. Based on http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0009912011000695 the Glycine allele is associated with less risk of a certain type of cancer. The A allele codes for Glycine, therefore is the better version to have. I think my data in the Interesting BHMT Variations page was a bit more trusting of the SNPedia summary, but the paper listed there as showing that G is the better version is extremely dodgy statistically. I'll update my page now :p

You say, The alleles or genotypes listed are the risky ones.... Does this mean that all of the above are risky? That every time I look at my Promethease chart, or these rs numbers that become highlighted when I'm on a page listing those I have, these are always risky? I know I've tried to get this matter clear couple of times, so appreciate your explanation. thx
No idea regarding Promethease. But usually elevations in risk are quite small. The exception tends to be when it's a missense mutation, though many of those also have little impact.

Gondwanaland

I think you got these two backwards. The alleles or genotypes listed are the risky ones, so you're -/- on both.

If "G is protective" or similar is mentioned, it's because the riskier version is the most common version ... so having +/+ for those is just normal, rather than being an increased risk, and a few people get lucky and get the slightly faster -/- version.
:ill:
I am giving up understanding SNPs :thumbdown:

Last edited: