• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Do dietary lectins cause disease?

adreno

PR activist
It seems that lectins, combined with some pathogens, are bad news:

But if we all eat lectins, why don’t we all get insulin dependent diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, IgA nephropathy, and peptic ulcers? Partly because of biological variation in the glycoconjugates that coat our cells and partly because these are protected behind a fine screen of sialic acid molecules, attached to the glycoprotein tips. We should be safe. But the sialic acid molecules can be stripped off by the enzyme neuraminidase, present in several micro-organisms such as influenzaviruses and streptococci. This may explain why diabetes and rheumatoid arthritis tend to occur as sequelae of infections. This facilitation of lectins by micro-organisms throws a new light on postinfectious diseases and makes the folklore cure of fasting during a fever seem sensible.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1115436/

Some info on lectins:

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/all-about-lectins

Whenever i eat legume, grain i get stomach issue though i already soak them i dunno why. Theyre yummy though :(
It could also caused by enzyme issue but i already take supplement.
I read before lectin could cause GI problem and immune response.
And legume harder to digest.

Martial

Well Lectins are in virtually everything we eat, however I read before different types of lectin can cause a different reponse as well as being more potentially toxic, others being less harmful in moderation and actually necessary for a healthy functioning immune system. This is pretty interesting thanks for sharing!