• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

DMG - low potassium alert

Mary

Moderator Resource
I started taking DMG (dimethylglycine) about 10 days ago and it seems to be great stuff, boosting my energy. And then I found out (it took way too long to figure this out!) that it was causing my potassium to tank pretty badly. I ended up with severe fatigue, aches and blurred vision and only yesterday realized what was going on. I've more than doubled my usual 1000 mg. of potassium gluconate and my energy is coming back and vision is clearing up.

It seems to be great stuff though I know not for everyone. Some people do better with TMG, but that did nothing for me.

But I just wanted to make people aware they need to watch for low potassium symptoms with DMG. I had the same reaction when I first started methylfolate 5 years ago.

Mary

Moderator Resource
Both DMG and folate increase the B12 requirements![/QUOTE

I was already taking a lot of B12 when I started the methylfolate 5 years ago. So I think I had enough B12 - it's just I needed the methylfolate. I felt so much better when I started the methylfolate (although it didn't stop me crashing).

My symptoms of fatigue etc. are rapidly abating with the additional potassium, so I don't think it's a matter of needing more B12. I think my methylation is getting ramped up by the DMG, which is increasing my need for potassium. But - I will keep an eye on my B12 as well! Thanks @Gondwanaland!