• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Discover Magazine - Have all of you seen cover page or am I just running way behind!!

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
Was cruising the magazine and book section at Walmart yesterday and my eyes found the cover of "Discover" magazine and it caught me very off guard with a top of the page headline - "Chronic Fatigue's Hidden Cause" pg. 72". At least on pg. 72 they did address things more correctly by using terms "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome" and "Myalgia Encephalopathy",

I haven't even read the whole article, but it appears that certain "B-cells" if treated with Rituximab will rid the patient of most of the common illnesses associated with these diseases. I haven't seen he word cure yet, so I'm going to fall short of that one.

Was it common knowledge that this article was going to be published in a such a high profile magazine? I was under the impression that this treatment protocol had a long way to go yet! Am I wrong?

jenbooks

The article is not just about rituximab. (And yes, the CFS/ME community seems to have picked it up and reposted it widely, which is good). It's about the role of b-cells in autoimmunity, and how they work; the Fluge/Mella study suggests at least some CFS/ME might be due to autoimmunity driven by b-cell aberrations.

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
Ok - I just wasn't sure and when I that on a magazine headliner it makes you a little like "Oh shxt".

There was or is coming up a virology meeting and it seemed to have lot of information about viruses and the parts of the body it used for a reservoir and where they like to migrate and kill cells.

Thanks

Battery Muncher

Whoa how did I miss this?

Thanks for bringing it to the attention of those who missed it the first time around (e.g. me)!